– 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe (5-seater) Side by Side Buyer’s Guide | UTV Model Differences Explained, Accessories, HP & TQ + More! –
– Everything you need to know about the 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in one place! –
Alright guys, it’s that time again. Time to break down the specs, features, model differences etc on the 2018 5-Seater Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe side by side from Honda. Why only cover (1) model when there are many different 2018 Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 model variations?
Because I want to cover each model individually to hopefully make the information easier for those that are ‘shopping’ and or doing research on a specific model and don’t want to have to skim over all of the other models to find the nitty-gritty specs on the model they are wanting that information on. Once I am finished doing a detailed review on each model I will put together a special page breaking down all of the model differences between all of the different 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 (5-seater) & 1000 (3-seater) models. I’ve found that ever since Honda released the 2016 Pioneer 1000 model lineup in 2015 that I still run into people on a daily basis that are confused by all of the models and what they offer so I’m going to try and help break down that information to better-help those individuals that may not know every in-and-out about these models like many enthusiasts are that have studied every nut and bolt of these side by side / UTV models.
Why is the 2018 Pioneer 1000 model lineup confusing to some people?
Take a look at all of the Pioneer 1000 model options / model variations to choose from below:
- 2018 Pioneer 500 | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS500M2J Price / MSRP: TBA
- 2018 Pioneer 700 | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS700M2J Price / MSRP: $10,599
- 2018 Pioneer 700 Deluxe | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS700M2DJ Price / MSRP: $12,099
- 2018 Pioneer 700-4 | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS700M4J Price / MSRP: $12,299
- 2018 Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS700M4DJ Price / MSRP: $13,699
- 2018 Pioneer 1000 | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS10M3J Price / MSRP: $14,499
- 2018 Pioneer 1000 EPS | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS10M3PJ Price / MSRP: $15,699
- 2018 Pioneer 1000 LE / Limited Edition | Review – Coming Soon
- SXS10M3LEJ Price / MSRP: $20,299
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 ‘Base Model’ | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS10M5PJ Price / MSRP: $$16,699
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe | Review – CLICK HERE
- SXS10M5DJ Price / MSRP: $17,699
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE / Limited Edition | Review – Coming Soon
- SXS10M5LEJ Price / MSRP: $21,899
Nowhere in those model names does it really designate what you get for the $$ differences and or what differentiates them and that is what I believe still confuses some people. I still have some people confused as to what the ‘5’ means in 1000-5 and that’s what has pushed me to spend the time in a write-up like this.
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000 Model Lineup / Options Explained:
To start with, the 2018 Pioneer 1000 model lineup is available in (6) different versions, (3) Pioneer 1000 models with a 3-seater configuration and three Pioneer 1000-5 models with a 5-seater capability.
Here are the (3) 2018 Pioneer 1000 model options / variations:
Pioneer 1000 (base model)
- The Base Model 2018 Pioneer 1000 is the cheapest of the cheapest when it comes to a 1000cc side by side from Honda. You can check out the Detailed 2018 Pioneer 1000 Review – Click Here.
Pioneer 1000 EPS
- What do you gain on the Pioneer 1000 EPS vs Pioneer 1000 Base Model? You get EPS (Electric Power Steering), tilt-steering wheel and color-matched body panels on the doors and bed. Next to the EPS, the biggest feature you also get on the EPS model is new transmission features! On the Pioneer 1000 Base Model you can put the DCT Automatic Transmission in D (Drive) and go. With the Pioneer 1000 EPS you get the added feature of being able to shift the transmission manually via Paddle-Shiters or you can still put the DCT Automatic Transmission in Auto-Mode if you’d like for it to shift automatically. You also have the “Sport” mode button you can click when it Auto-Mode. Other than those features, the 2018 Pioneer 1000 EPS and Pioneer 1000 Base Model are the same. You can check out my Detailed 2018 Pioneer 1000 EPS Review by Clicking Here.
Pioneer 1000 LE / Limited Edition
- What do you gain on the Pioneer 1000 LE vs Pioneer 1000 EPS? LOADS and LOADS of new features! Too many for me to breakdown in a little paragraph for this quick ‘Pioneer 1000 Model Differences / Buyer’s Guide’ so I’m going to point you to a link where I break all of the differences down in-depth. You can check out the 2017 Pioneer 1000 LE VS 2017 Pioneer 1000 EPS Differences Explained – Click Here until I finish up with my 2018 Pioneer 1000 LE VS 2018 Pioneer 1000 EPS comparison.
Here are the (3) 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 model options / variations:
Pioneer 1000-5 (base model)
- The Pioneer 1000-5 base model comes with features that the base model Pioneer 1000 doesn’t come with. Unlike the base model Pioneer 1000, the base model Pioneer 1000-5 does come with EPS (Electronic Power Steering). The base model Pioneer 1000-5 also comes with the Automatic / Manual mode selector with the Sport mode button too whereas the base model Pioneer 1000 doesn’t. You can check out my detailed 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Review by Clicking Here.
Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
- What do you gain on the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe vs Pioneer 1000-5 Base Model? This is where the Pioneer 1000-5 model differences and Pioneer 1000 model differences really break apart when you ‘upgrade’. On the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe you get 14″ Aluminum Wheels instead of the base models 12″ steel wheels. On top of the better wheels, you also get a more aggressive tire on the 1000-5 Deluxe with Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires on all four-corners (same size as base model at 27″). Similar to that of the Pioneer 1000 EPS, on the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe you also get color-matched body panels on all four-doors as well as the bed. You also get LED headlights which not only look awesome but are brighter than the standard models halogen bulbs. Other than those features, the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and Pioneer 1000-5 Base Model are the same. You can check out my detailed 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Review by Clicking Here.
Pioneer 1000-5 LE / Limited Edition
- What do you gain on the Pioneer 1000-5 LE vs Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe? Just like I mentioned above on the Pioneer 1000 LE vs Pioneer 1000 EPS model – on the Pioneer 1000-5 Limited Edition vs 1000-5 Deluxe, the differences are HUGE and quite a few of them… Because of this, I can’t break it down in short paragraph form as I’m trying to keep this section somewhat short and then go into more detail on each individuals model review page. You can check out the 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 LE VS 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Differences Explained – Click Here until I finish up with my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE VS 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe comparison.
Now, that we’ve got that explanation out of the way… Let’s dive into the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe model and see what it’s all about and break down all of the 2018 vs 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 changes that you’ll see as well as the differences between the Pioneer 1000-5 ‘Base Model’ versus Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe as well as the Pioneer 1000-5 LE. If you want to check out the initial 2018 Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 Model Announcement – Click Here.
2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Review Page Contents:
- 1. Recent Changes on all Pioneer 1000-5 models
- 2. Upgrades on Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe VS 1000-5 Base Model / Do you Need or Want the 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Features?
- 3. Detailed Review
- Chassis / Suspension
- 4. Quick Overview of Specs / Features (Skip to HERE if you’re in a hurry)
- 5. Technical Specs Comparison Chart (entire 2017 Pioneer 1000 model lineup)
- 6. Photo Gallery / Pictures
- 7. Honda Genuine Pioneer 1000-5 Accessories
1. Recent Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Changes / Improvements
Recent Changes / Improvements for ALL Pioneer 1000-5 models (These changes were introduced in 2017. All 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 models are identical to the 2017 models):
- Memory function that retains the last transmission mode after engaging reverse
- Winch harness now pre-wired
- Thicker seat foam for improved comfort
- Refined DCT control for even smoother acceleration from a stop
2. Do you ‘Want’ or ‘Need’ the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Features?
2. Do you ‘Want’ or ‘Need’ the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Features?
What Features on the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe could you live without to save some money $$?
- Do you need the ‘pretty’ 14″ aluminum wheels and more aggressive 27″ Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires on your 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe? If not, then the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 base model might be more up your alley as both the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE come with the larger 14″ aluminum wheels and more aggressive 27″ Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires. The 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 still comes with 27″ tall tires but they aren’t as aggressive-tread and they are wrapped around 12″ steel wheels instead of the more aesthetically pleasing 14″ aluminum wheels.
- Do you not want or need the LED headlights on your 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe? If not, you need to look at the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Base Model as that’ll be an easy way to save some money. To the average person, they don’t ride too much at night so they won’t see the true ‘benefit’ of the brighter LED headlights and the halogen-bulb headlights will be more than sufficient. There is no denying though that the LED headlights do look killer… haha.
- Do you not want or need the color-matched body panels on your 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe? If not, you could get by saving some money by going with the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Base Model as they do not come standard with the colored bodywork. The only colored plastic bodywork on the Base Model Pioneer 1000-5 is the hood. However, you can add those exact same body panels like the Deluxe has to a Base Model for less than $400 retail for those that may not want the Deluxe model features but would like to have the colored doors and bed plastic panels.
- Do you Not need 4-5 seats in your side by side / UTV? If so, you’re looking at the wrong model. You need to look at the 2018 Pioneer 1000 LE, Pioneer 1000 EPS or Pioneer 1000 base model as they have 3 seats. The “5” in Pioneer 1000-5 means that this model has seating for 5 people. I know that may seem obvious to some but I do have some people that still aren’t 100% sure what the “5” means and they aren’t aware that the Pioneer 1000 models have 3 seats instead of a 2-seater.
- Do you want or need an easy four-wheel drive setup where you can just put it in 4WD and forget about it? If so, you may want to check out the 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE / Limited Edition model with it’s new I-4WD (Intelligent four-wheel drive). Instead of having (2) different 4WD and (2) different 2WD options on the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, the I-4WD makes life easy on you to where you don’t need to “worry” about which model you should be in. Some people prefer the latter though and want everything manual so that way you know what it’s doing but a lot of people like the ease of just setting it in 4WD and forgetting about it like you can with the new I-4WD setup. Check out my Pioneer 1000-5 LE review for even more details on the intelligent four-wheel drive setup and how it works.
3. 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Information Review
Now that we’ve determined whether or not you’re truly interested in the 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe or if another model is more up your alley we will dive into the detailed specs and features of this machine.
What does the “5” standard for in Pioneer 1000-5? The number 5 means 5-seater when you’re looking at the Pioneer 1000-5. The Pioneer 1000-5 has what Honda calls their “QuickFlip” seating which allows you to change the Pioneer 1000-5 from a 3-seater side by side to where it is a 4 & 5 seater machine too all within 30 seconds. The cool part of the design too is that you still have a 1,000lb dump-bed and having the capability of a multi-seater UTV but without it being stretched out as long as a limo to where it makes navigating tight trails difficult.
Below, after I touch on some of the recent changes to the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe I will dive into the nitty-gritty specs on this model Pioneer ranging from the engine, DCT transmission, interior, electronics etc to hopefully help show you anything and everything you need to know about the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in one place. Don’t forget to take a minute and check out my other detailed write-ups reviewing each of the 2018 Pioneer 1000 models and their differences as you have quite a few differences between them that set each one of Honda’s 2018 side by side models apart from the next.
First, let’s dive into the 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 ‘heat issue’ that you may have read about if you browse the owner’s forums etc. This complaint has been a mixed bag as you’ll find some that say they don’t have a heat issue where some find it “unbearable”. Has Honda decided to tackle this complaint for the 2017 Pioneer 1000-5? Yes, Honda has thrown a new seat in the 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 that has thicker foam which should cut down on some of the heat as well as be a little bit more comfy on the trails.
The new pre-wired winch harness on the 2017-2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe may not seem like a big deal to some people but trust me if you ever plan on installing a winch on your Pioneer 1000-5 you will find out this change is heaven-sent… Why is that? Honda calls for 4.5 hours worth of labor on their flat-rate chart to install a winch on a Pioneer 1000-5 and the majority of that time is spent with installing the wiring harness. With the winch harness being pre-installed from the get-go it will cut down on that time drastically and make life easier for you if you plan on installing it yourself and if you plan on having a dealer do the install – it will save your wallet from the shock once you get the labor bill!
One more of the small changes from last year on the Pioneer 1000-5 that I think is actually a huge upgrade is the fact that the ECU now remembers what mode you had the transmission in before putting it in reverse. This is something you didn’t see a lot of people talk about but it was a pet-peeve of mine on the 2016 Pioneer 1000 models as every time you put it in reverse and then back into ‘drive’ whether it be High or Low the transmission would reset and default back to Automatic-mode. Then you would have to re-select whether or not you wanted it in Automatic with the Sport-mode activated or back into Manual-mode etc. The transmission-mode memory function upgrade for the Pioneer 1000 gets two-thumbs up from me!
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Price / MSRP:
Honda has yet to announce pricing on all of the 2018 Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 models. Once they release pricing, I will be able to break down the price differences etc.
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Release Date:
As of right now, it is still “TBA”. I will update this post and also post everything up on my social media pages when it’s announced.
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Colors:
We have a new color to add to the mix for 2018 on the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe – Active Yellow. The Active Yellow color has been used in the past on the 2017 Rubicon 500 EPS (TRX500FM6). It’s not the typical “school bus” yellow that you may be familiar with, this is more of a highlighter yellow. Then we have the standard Red and Phantom Camo colors making a return.
- Active Yellow (new color)
- Phantom Camo
Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Video Review of Specs / Features
When Honda engineers set out to develop an open-class multipurpose side-by-side, they weren’t interested in offering a me-too model. Using Honda’s signature total approach, they wanted to match or exceed the competition in all of the important areas, and that’s exactly what the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe does:
Engine | 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
Honda technicians have proven time and again that there’s simply no one better at developing engines, and their full expertise was called upon for the Pioneer 1000’s all-new, purpose-built side-by-side power plant. The result is an engine that’s head-and-shoulders above anything else on the market, serving as a reminder that there’s a reason behind the manufacturer’s name: Honda Motor Company.
When you know the power you need is always at the ready, every drive is an enjoyable experience. And that’s precisely what you get out of the class-leading 999cc liquid-cooled inline twin. Using the same Unicam® cylinder head design found in our motocross bikes, it’s more compact in size, and it still delivers the kind of horsepower and torque you’d expect from a flagship model.
“We’re very excited about the 999cc engine we’ve developed for these new Pioneers,” said Lee Edmunds, Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications at American Honda. “We’ve also added the industry’s only fully automatic mechanical transmission – the 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission. With steel gears, the DCT offers true engine braking, seamless shifting and a smooth, reliable transfer of power.”
- All Pioneer 1000 models are powered by a 999cc parallel-twin engine with a Unicam® design like that of Honda’s legendary CRF motocross models, achieving high performance while simultaneously minimizing weight and bulk.
- Big power and torque: able to haul 1,000 pounds (600 pounds for California models) and tow 2,000 pounds.
- High-tech “roller rockers” have a roller that contacts the cam, greatly reducing friction and wear compared to standard rocker arms.
- Longitudinal engine mounting eliminates unnecessary right angles in the driveline, ensuring an efficient transfer of power to the ground.
- Engine and exhaust system are rubber-mounted to reduce vibration and noise.
- To help the engine meet Honda’s unmatched reliability standards, the air inlet is positioned high under the hood, resulting in a clean supply of air and excellent clearance for water fording. The air-cleaner element is a viscous paper type, for exceptional filtration and a long service life.
Pioneer 1000-5 Engine Performance Numbers / Details:
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Horsepower: 72 HP
- 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Top Speed: 67 MPH via Electronic Speed Limiter
Transmission | 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
The side-by-side market’s first fully Automatic DCT is a superior system, the perfect transmission for a flagship SxS model—and no one does DCT better than Honda, as evidenced by the sophisticated transmission on the Pioneer 1000.
- All Pioneer 1000 models get a new memory function that retains the last transmission mode after engaging reverse.
- Six-speed automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) on all six types; those equipped with EPS also have a sport mode switch and manual paddle shifters.
- With DCT, an advanced shift logic monitors variables including throttle position and input, engine rpm, vehicle speed and brake input to determine driving style. During relaxed input, the transmission maintains a low rpm for a quiet cabin, low vibration and improved fuel efficiency. During more aggressive input, a higher rpm is held, maximizing engine torque and power. During inconsistent throttle input, transient detection logic prevents multiple up- and downshifts. When descents are detected, the transmission downshifts to provide true engine braking.
- Changing DCT modes on the fly immediately alters the character of the machine, from quiet and relaxed to exciting and powerful.
- Even in automatic mode, the driver can override the gear selection at any time by using the paddle shifters. The selected gear will be maintained for several seconds before the transmission seamlessly reverts to fully automatic shifting.
- The low-range sub-transmission has a 1.42:1 ratio (like a 4WD truck), essentially doubling the number of gears from six to twelve.
There’s no shortage of areas where Honda has set new benchmarks with the Pioneer 1000-5 model lineup, but perhaps the most pertinent is the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), which makes its first appearance ever on a side-by-side. Enthusiasts of high-performance sports cars are familiar with DCT technology, but until now, it wasn’t available to SxS customers.
What is a DCT Transmission?
A superior technology, DCT is an all-gear transmission that shifts automatically—the best of both worlds!
- As the name suggests, Dual Clutch Transmissions have two clutches—one that controls odd-numbered gear sets (first, third, fifth), and another that controls even-numbered gear sets (second, fourth, sixth). A hollow outer transmission shaft contains a separate internal shaft, and each holds one of the two clutches.
- Multiple gears are engaged simultaneously so that the transmission is constantly prepared for the next shift. For gear-changes, one clutch disengages and the other engages, resulting in shifts that are quick, smooth, seamless.
- Data, collected by a series of sensors, is processed by the ECU, which uses an advanced algorithm to determine when the shift-control motor should electronically trigger gear-changes. The clutches are controlled by sophisticated electronics and hydraulics.
- Honda is the powersports leader in DCT, having debuted it on the 2010 VFR1200F and since adapted, refined and expanded it to other motorcycles and premium ATVs.
The short answer is simple—because it’s better—but there’s obviously more to it than that, as DCT offers a long list of advantages:
- Durability: All-gear designs (with no belts) provide a direct, connected feel between the accelerator and the wheels, as well as improved durability, reduced maintenance and efficient power transfer.
- Versatility: Whereas most transmissions are either automatic or manual, DCT systems can give owners the option to choose depending on the driver and the conditions. For example, use standard automatic for relaxed cruising, sport mode to hold gears longer for more spirited driving, or manual to have fun shifting, like a sports car, or to allow precise speed control for operations like spraying and plowing.
- Performance: While DCT is known for its ease of use, its smooth, quick gear-changes are also ideal for sportier applications—hence its availability on the new CRF1000L Africa Twin adventure-touring motorcycle, and even the next-generation Acura NSX sports car. Whereas a typical CVT design transmits 88% of power to the ground, all-gear systems deliver 96-98%. DCT allows maximum engine torque and true engine braking for the heaviest loads, hills and technical terrain.
Chassis / Suspension | 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
Like the engine, the Pioneer 1000-5’s chassis was purpose-built, engineered for uncompromising comfort and capability.
Prepare to go further than ever before. Our refined chassis enables you to tackle terrain others would shy away from, with large 27″ tires, long-travel independent front and rear suspension and huge ground clearance. The rubber-mounted engine and exhaust system insulates against excessive vibration, and on the 1000-5 model, self-leveling rear suspension compensates for changing loads.
- Starting in 2017, all versions of the Pioneer 1000 have thicker seat foam for increased comfort, plus a winch-ready wiring harness.
- Dual A-arm design and fully independent suspension front and rear, with 10.5 inches of plush travel up front, 10.0 inches in back.
- Ground clearance is an impressive 12.4 inches on the 1000-5 Deluxe (12.7 on 3-seater models)
- All Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe models come standard with premium 27″ Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, featuring radial construction for exceptional ride comfort and traction.
- All Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe models come standard with 14″ aluminum wheels instead of the 12″ steel wheels that you’ll find on the base model Pioneer 1000-5.
- Standard on the five-person Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe (and available as an accessory for the three-person models) is a self-leveling rear suspension system, which automatically maintains the appropriate ride height when fully loaded, thereby maximizing ride comfort and maintaining consistent vehicle handling.
- The Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe comes with a sophisticated Electric Power Steering system (EPS) that reacts to both vehicle speed and steering input, delivering precise driving feedback while also reducing steering effort (and thus driver fatigue). This is true even with the front differential locked, as kickback at the steering wheel is reduced in technical terrain.
- Tilt steering on all models with EPS.
Interior | 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
Serving as a constant reminder of the Pioneer 1000-5’s premium status are a couple of traits for which Honda is famous—attention to detail, and fit and finish.
- Wide, comfortable bench seat for one, two or three passengers up front, with hand-hold straps and a shoulder belt for the center passenger (center seat is positioned high and forward to increase comfort and maximize space). Since this is the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, you also get seating in the back for one or two passengers giving you seating for up to five people!
- The easy-to-use dump-bed lever can be accessed from outside the vehicle or from a front seated position.
- Hard doors with nets on all models, providing passengers with a secure feel and helping to keep mud and debris out of the rider cabin.
- Large, easy-to-reach transmission and drive levers with positive detents make it easy to identify the selected gear and drive mode by sight or feel.
- LED headlights (37W high/low beam) are standard on the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, providing a bright, wide beam pattern and excellent service life with minimal power consumption. (The other Pioneer 1000 types have Halogen headlights, with LED available as an accessory.)
- The LCD multifunction display has a large, easy-to-read screen, showing speed, odometer, trip A and B, tachometer, gear selected, transmission mode, drive mode, clock, fuel, water temperature, mode and maintenance reminder.
The Business of SxS
Powersports’ strongest segment continues to grow
One might say that side-by-sides are the best-kept success-story secret in powersports, but while it’s still possible for these enjoyable products to be overlooked by some, their incredible sales numbers are rapidly reducing the ranks of the uninitiated. Simply put, SxS is the fastest-growing category in powersports, and as these customers have demanded more performance and capability from their vehicles, the flagship multipurpose has become the fastest-growing segment, at close to 100,000 per year. To meet the needs and expectations of Honda customers, Honda developed the Pioneer 1000, which is among the company’s most important powersports products of the last decade.
But exactly what is a flagship multipurpose side-by-side? Among these vehicles’ typical traits are large-displacement (+800cc) multi-cylinder engines, comfortable suspension, sophisticated 4WD systems, big hauling and towing capacity and exceptional capability in both recreation and work applications. As for who’s buying them, side-by-side customers in general are becoming increasingly difficult to pigeonhole, but buyers of flagship multipurpose side-by-sides tend to be experienced powersports customers who want the biggest and best—folks who are looking for both a balance of recreation and work capability and a top-of-the-line product that can go anywhere and haul anything. These owners get extreme usage out of their vehicles.
While the Pioneer 1000 is new, the road that led to it is long. The company was at the forefront of the ATV market in 1970, when it offered the three-wheel US90 (later to be called the ATC90), and its ATV lineup now includes a full spectrum of four-wheel vehicles, from the sporty TRX family to the versatile Rincon, Rubicon, Foreman, Rancher and Recon lines. From 1977 to ’89, Honda sold a four-wheel powersports vehicle called the Odyssey, and although that model did have a roll cage, it was just a single-seater; Honda’s first true side-by-side was the utility-focused Big Red, introduced for 2009. Big Red was replaced by the 2014 model-year Pioneer 700—a midsize multipurpose model that’s available in two-person and four-person configurations. The following year, Honda added the two-person Pioneer 500, an entry-level side-by-side whose narrow stance allows it to drive on tight trails and fit in the bed of a pickup truck.
4. Quick Overview of Features (Click on tabs below)
POWERFUL 999CC TWIN-CYLINDER ENGINE
A flagship Side-by-Side starts with a flagship engine, and the all-new Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe features one of our best. Class-leading displacement in a compact engine size. The 999cc liquid-cooled inline twin utilizes the same Unicam® cylinder head design found in our motocross bikes and features electronic fuel injection, so you get reliable power and performance, wherever the adventure takes you. Built specifically for the Pioneer 1000, the engine is specially tuned to produce the horsepower and torque this SxS demands.
FULLY-AUTOMATIC SIX-SPEED DCT TRANSMISSION
Drive the way you want, with the industry’s first and only 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission. Choose between manual mode or fully automatic. Plus, the addition of Sport Mode increases the fun, shifting at higher RPMs for a spirited, full-performance driving experience. The Pioneer 1000-5’s Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission features six forward speeds plus reverse and two gearing ranges (high and low). The Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe has paddle shifting and three shift modes (standard, sport and manual). It can do all the shifting for you, as smooth and seamless as any automatic, but can also give you total control to shift yourself—it’s the best of all worlds!
ADVANCED TRANSMISSION LOGIC
The Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe is more than tough – it’s Honda Smart. Here are some examples: The Pioneer 1000’s advanced, fully automatic Dual-Clutch Transmission senses how you’re riding, monitoring throttle position and input, engine RPM, vehicle speed and more. Relaxed drivers get smooth shifts and lower engine speed for a smoother, quieter ride. More sporting drivers get quicker shifts and higher engine speeds to maximize engine torque and power. Going downhill? The Pioneer 1000 stays in a lower gear for superior engine braking.
HIGH / LOW SUBTRANSMISSION
With a full 42-percent gear reduction between High and Low, you get the torque you need in all 6 gears. It comes in handy when driving over difficult terrain, scaling steep hills or towing heavy loads.
BUILT IN THE U.S.A.
The Pioneer 1000-5 is purpose-built for the American market, right in America. Domestically and globally sourced parts are all assembled at our plant in Timmonsville, South Carolina, and once these side-by-sides roll off the line, they’re ready to explore every corner of the country.
2000-POUND TOWING CAPACITY
Call it 2000 pounds, or call it 1 ton. Ether way, the towing capacity of the Pioneer 1000-5 is unsurpassed by any competitor. You can load a full half-ton into the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe’s bed. And when it’s time to unload, the bed’s tilting feature makes dumping firewood, gravel, feed or other items easy. And because it’s able to tow a full ton (2000 pounds), the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe can take on big jobs that otherwise would have required a tractor or a truck.
You can let the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe shift automatically, but if you want to choose a specific gear, upshift or downshift yourself in demanding conditions and even override the automatic gear selection—all without ever moving your hands from the wheel. Steering column-mounted paddle shifters add a serious dose of performance in every drive. In Manual mode, they let you shift without ever taking your hands off the wheel, and in Automatic mode, they let you override the current gear with a quick up or downshift, holding that gear for several seconds before returning to Automatic mode.
* Available on Pioneer 1000-5 , Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, Pioneer 1000-5 LE, Pioneer 1000 EPS, Pioneer 1000 LE.
INDEPENDENT FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION
Dual A-arm suspension gives you 10.5 inches of travel in the front, and 10-inches of travel in the rear. Pair that with stellar ground clearance, and you maximize available traction and superior comfort maneuvering over terrain other side-by-sides would shy away from.
TURF / 2WD / 4WD / DIFF LOCK
Don’t tear up sensitive surfaces. Select Turf Mode. Want to access as much traction as possible? Put it in 4WD. Need maximum power at all four wheels? Lock the front and rear differentials. And the best part is, you can do it all with a shift of a single lever.
* Only available on Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, Pioneer 1000-5, Pioneer 1000 EPS and Pioneer 1000. The Pioneer 1000 LE & 1000-5 LE replace this system with I-4WD.
ELECTRIC POWER STEERING
Our Electric Power Steering system helps eliminate bump steer and lessens steering effort, especially over rocks, logs and on sidehills, through rocky and rutted terrain, which reduces fatigue. Honda’s system is second to none. What makes it even better is the added assist you get when you need it most, like when you’re in 4WD, driving at lower speeds, or maneuvering over rough conditions.
* Available on Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, Pioneer 1000-5, Pioneer 1000 EPS, Pioneer 1000 LE and Pioneer 1000-5 LE models.
27″ TIRES & 14″ WHEELS
The Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe comes standard with large 27-inch Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires on 14-inch aluminum rims for better ride comfort, improved ground clearance and superior traction.
* Only Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, Pioneer 1000-5 LE and Pioneer 1000 LE models come with 27″ Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires and 14″ aluminum wheels.
ADVANCED TRANSMISSION LOGIC
The brain of the DCT, Advanced Transmission Logic, senses how you drive and adapts. Relaxed drivers get earlier shifts for a quieter ride at lower engine speeds. Sportier drivers will hold each gear longer for higher RPM shifts. And when going downhill, you get true engine braking. Now that’s a smart transmission.
ENGINE AIR INTAKE
Designed to excel in off-road use, the viscous air-filter element does an excellent job of providing clean air to the engine under tough conditions. To get the most out of your engine, you need the best air going into it. That’s why we positioned the air intake up high under the hood. It helps ensure a clean air supply, even at deeper fording depths, and with a new viscous air filter element, you get increased performance and longer service intervals.
1000-POUND-CAPACITY TILT BED
There are a ton of reasons to buy a Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. Among them: the half-ton hauling capacity*. No side-by-side can haul more, and when it comes to dumping, we’ve made it easier than ever, with a hydraulic assist tilt bed lever that can be accessed from outside the vehicle, or right from the driver’s seat.
* 600 pound bed capacity for California Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 models.
COLOR-MATCHED DOOR AND BEDSIDE PANELS
Want to change the color of your Pioneer when hunting season rolls around? No problem. Our door and bedside panels can be easily swapped out for a different color scheme if and when you need it. This feature comes in particularly handy in case a panel sustains any damage on the job or trail.
* Available on Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and Pioneer 1000 EPS model. * The Pioneer 1000-5 LE & Pioneer 1000 LE models come with painted bodywork.
PIONEER 1000-5 DELUXE QUICKFLIP SEATING
The Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe bed features a pair of seats that flip up or fold down independently in seconds. Up, they provide secure seating for one or two additional passengers; down, you get a true flat cargo bed surface for utility use.
* Available on Pioneer 1000-5, Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe & Pioneer 1000-5 LE.
3-PERSON CONTOURED BENCH SEAT (UP FRONT)
Tough, durable and built to enhance every driving experience — yes, we’re talking about the seat. Contoured for three passengers, the center seat is positioned up and forward to maximize space and comfort, and the covering is designed to resist both the elements and heavy use.
The multi-function LCD dash display is large enough to host loads of information, in an easy-to-read way, like speed and fuel level. RPM and transmission mode. Fuel gauge, water temperature, trip information and more. It even includes a clock, so you’ll always know when it’s time for some fun.
With a tilt steering wheel, you’re ensured an even more comfortable driving experience. We’ve given the wheel a wide range of adjustments for optimum customization, and it even moves very far forward to allow for easy entry and exit.
* Available on Pioneer 1000-5 LE, Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, Pioneer 1000-5 and Pioneer 1000 EPS models.
Some of the most impressive Pioneer 1000-5 features are those you’ll never see, but it’s one of the first things you’ll notice when on the trail. The independent, long-travel suspension, excellent ground clearance and large tires all work in concert to deliver superior ride comfort and superb traction. In addition to the suspension and ground clearance, we rubber-mounted the engine and exhaust system to insulate the cabin against excessive vibration. So while you may not see this feature, it’s one you will definitely notice.
SELF-LOAD LEVELING REAR SUSPENSION
When you fill the two rear seats or put a bigger load into the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe bed, the rear suspension automatically senses the increase and adjusts the ride height to compensate. This maintains ground clearance and maximizes comfort when loaded.
* You can add the self-load leveling rear suspension to the Pioneer 1000, Pioneer 1000 EPS and Pioneer 1000 LE models too as an ‘accessory’ from Honda.
FOUR-WHEEL DISC BRAKES
The Pioneer’s uncompromising power helps take you further than ever before. The reliable disc brakes help you stop on a dime. Built to the same standard as you’d find in our autos, the four-wheel disc brakes minimize debris from building up, ensuring consistent performance, and giving you confidence on the trail.
DRIVER / PASSENGER PROTECTION
The Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe is loaded with features to help provide a feeling of security for the driver and passengers. The Occupant Protection Structure uses sturdy, large-diameter tubing, and includes integrated handholds, recessed top tubes and a more spacious structure to enhance protection; it also meets OSHA’s 1928.53 rollover protective structure standard. Hard doors and roll-up side nets provide a secure feel and keep mud and debris out of the cabin, while automotive-style three-point belts with an Emergency Locking Retractor mechanism help keep everyone secure.
5. 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Specifications | Model Lineup Spec Comparison Chart:
5. 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Specifications | Model Lineup Spec Comparison Chart:
|Model||Pioneer 1000-5 LE
|Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
|Pioneer 1000 LE
|Pioneer 1000 EPS
|Engine Type||999cc liquid-cooled Unicam® longitudinally mounted parallel-twin four-stroke; four valves per cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke||92.0mm x 75.15mm|
|Induction||Fuel injection, 44mm throttle bodies|
|Transmission||Six-speed automatic DCT w/ reverse and high/low|
|Driveline||Direct front and rear driveshafts|
|Valve Train||OHC, 4 valves per cylinder|
|Front||Double wishbone; 10.6 in. travel|
|Rear||Double wishbone; 10 in. travel|
|Front||Hydraulic w/ two 210mm discs|
|Rear||Hydraulic w/ two 210mm discs|
|Length||117.6 in.||116.6 in.||117.8 in.||116.8 in.|
|Height||76.4 in.||76.3 in.||76 in.|
|Ground Clearance||12.2 in.||12.4 in.||12.7 in.|
|Turning Radius||13.8 ft.|
|Towing Capacity||2,000 lbs.|
|Payload Capacity||1,000 lbs. / 600 lbs. (Models sold in CA)|
|Fuel Capacity||7.9 gal., including 1.7 gal. reserve|
|Colors||Matte Gray Metallic||Red, Active Yellow, Honda Phantom Camo||Red, Olive||Matte Gray Metallic||Red, Metallic Blue, Honda Phantom Camo||Red, Olive|
|Curb Weight*||1,773 lbs.||1,709 lbs.||1,689 lbs.||1,642 lbs.||1,549 lbs.||1,526 lbs.|
|*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride|
|Meets current CARB and EPA off-road emissions standards|
|Recommended for riders 16 years of age and older|
6. 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Photo Gallery / Pictures
6. 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe Photo Gallery / Pictures
7. 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 & 1000 Accessories:
PIONEER 1000 & 1000-5 ACCESSORY KIT / PACKAGES
- Pioneer 1000-5 All-Weather Package 5P Price – $6,149.50
- Pioneer 1000 All-Weather Package 3P Price – $5,779.55
- Pioneer 1000-5 Trail Package 5P $1,934.80
- Pioneer 1000 Trail Package 3P $1,274.85
- Pioneer 1000-5 Hunting Package 5P $2,415.70
- Pioneer 1000 Hunting Package 3P $1,595.80
- Pioneer 1000-5 Work Package 5P $1,819.75
- Pioneer 1000 Work Package 3P $1,869.70
- Pioneer 1000-5 Protection Package 5P $1,564.60
- Pioneer 1000 Protection Package 3P $1,514.60
- Pioneer 1000 Red Custom Package 3P $1,869.50
- Pioneer 1000 Green Custom Package 3P $1,869.50
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 ROOFS & TOPS
(*RED = Clickable Links with more information and possible $$ savings)
- Pioneer 1000-5 Hard Roof / Top 0SR85-HL4-101 $549.95
- Pioneer 1000 Hard Roof / Top 0SR85-HL4-101B $399.95
- Pioneer 1000-5 Fabric Roof / Top Rear Panel (black) 0SR85-HL4-222A $359.95
- Fabric Roof Rear Panel (black) 0SR85-HL4-211A $259.95
- Fabric Roof Rear Panel (camo) 0SR85-HL4-221C $399.95
- Fabric Roof Rear Panel (camo) 0SR85-HL4-220A $299.95
- Pioneer 1000-5 (5P) Bimini Top 0SR85-HL4-322A $179.95
- Pioneer 1000 (3P)Bimini Top 0SR85-HL4-322B $129.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 DOORS
- Fabric Front Doors (black) 0SR90-HL4-211A $484.95
- Fabric Front Doors (camo) 0SR90-HL4-221A $525.95
- Fabric Rear Doors (black) 0SR90-HL4-211B $559.95
- Fabric Rear Doors (camo) 0SR90-HL4-211C $599.95
- Hard Front Doors 0SU95-HL4-104 $2,599.95
- Side Mirrors 0SV05-HL4-202 $99.95
- Color Panels (red) 08F72-HL4-A01ZD $329.95
- Color Panels (green) 08F72-HL4-A01ZE $329.95
- Color Panels (red) 08F70-HL4-A51ZD $299.95
- Color Panels (green) 08F70-HL4-A51ZE $299.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 WINDSHIELDS / WINDSCREENS
- Glass Windshield 0SU85-HL4-105 $699.95
- Windshield Wiper Kit 0SE10-HL4-500 $299.95
- Wind Deflector 0SR73-HL4-200B $199.95
- Full Poly Windscreen (hard coat) 0SR72-HL4-A00 $529.95
- Full Poly Windscreen (optical) 0SR73-HL4-200 $399.95
- 2-Piece Poly Windscreen (hard coat) 0SR71-HL4-A00 $599.95
- 2-Piece Poly Windscreen (optical) 0SR72-HL4-100 $479.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 REAR PANELS
- Hard Rear Panel 0SU95-HL4-103 $479.95
- Hard Rear Panel 0SU95-HL4-102 $479.95
- Fabric Mid-Panel 0SR95-HL4-211A $139.95
- Fabric Rear Panel 0SR95-HL4-211B $139.95
- Fabric Rear Panel 0SU95-HL4-205B $139.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 PROTECTION (Bumpers & Brush Guards / Skid Plates)
- Front Bumper/Brush Guard 08P70-HL4-A00 $279.95
- Rear Bumper 08P73-HL4-A00 $224.95
- Rear Bumper 08P70-HL4-A50 $224.95
- Aluminum Skid Plates 08P72-HL4-A00 $379.95
- Aluminum A-Arm Guards (front) 08P74-HL4-A00 $179.95
- Aluminum A-Arm Guards (rear) 08P75-HL4-A00 $159.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 WINCH / PLOW / TOWING
- Warn Winch 4,500 lb 08L71-HL3-A41 $439.95
- Winch Mount Kit 08L72-HL4-A01 $299.95
- Draw Bar 08L70-HL4-A00 $69.95
- Hitch Ball 08L90-HL1-100C $14.95
- Receiver Hitch Plug 08L90-HL1-100B $14.95
- Plow Blade (72″)* 08L75-HL3-A01 $369.95
- Plow Mount Kit* 08L75-HL4-A01 $229.95
- Plow Push Tube Set* 08L76-HL3-A41 $479.95
- Plow Pulley Kit* 0SL75-WRN-A00 $49.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 CARGO / STORAGE
- Cab Frame Cargo Bag 0SL57-HL3-101 $69.95
- Bed Mat 0SP42-HL4-501 $139.95
- Bed Mat 0SP42-HL4-201 $99.95
- Bed Liner 0SP43-HL4-202 $299.95
- Bed Extender 08L71-HL4-A01 $299.95
- Load Leveling Suspension System* 08Z70-HL4-A51 $699.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 INTERIOR / CABIN | Parts & Accessories
- Front Seat Covers (camo) 0SP32-HL4-201 $169.95
- Rear Seat Covers (camo) 0SP32-HL3-201B $119.95
- Rearview Mirror 0SV05-HL4-201 $89.95
- Rubber Floor Mats 0SP63-HL4-101 $89.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 ELECTRICAL
- Horn Kit 08P75-HL5-A00 $34.95
- Horn Mount Kit 08Z77-HL4-A00 $59.95
- Back-up Alarm 08V70-HL5-A00 $39.95
- Back-up Alarm Mount Kit 08Z76-HL4-A00 $29.95
- Heater / Defrost 0SE01-HL4-101 $779.95
- LED Light Bar 0SV31-HL3-301 $369.95
- LED Light Bar Wire Harness 0SV31-HL4-301 $49.95
- LED Auxiliary Lights 0SV31-HL3-201 $299.95
- 45mm Light Clamp 0SV31-HL4-201A $29.95
- LED Headlights 08V71-HL4-A00 $399.95
- Switch Plate / Volt Meter / Wire Harness 0SA30-HL4-100 $329.95
Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 MISC PARTS & ACCESSORIES
- 14″ Cast Aluminum Wheel (front) 08W70-HL4-A02 $199.95 *Per Wheel
- 14″ Cast Aluminum Wheel (rear) 08W71-HL4-A01 $199.95 *Per Wheel
- Storage Cover 0SP34-HL4-100 $149.95
- Storage Cover 0SP35-HL4-100 $99.95
Honda Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 Link Index / UPDATED Blog Posts with More Detailed Information
Honda Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 pages detailing Spec Sheets, Features, Horsepower and more:
- Pioneer 1000 / 1000-5 Spec Sheet, Dimensions, Weight, Height, Width – Click Here
- Pioneer 1000 / 1000-5 Detailed Frame, Engine, Interior Pictures – Click Here
- Pioneer 1000 vs 700 vs 500 Horsepower | Power-to-Weight Ratio / Performance Comparison
- Pioneer 1000 vs 700 Drag Race Video – Click Here
- Pioneer 1000 Top Speed Video – Click Here
Honda Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 Part & Accessory Information:
- Pioneer 1000 Accessories Overview / Pictures – Click Here
- Pioneer 1000 Custom Accessory Packages – Click Here
- Pioneer 1000 Accessories Price List – Click Here
Misc Honda Pioneer 1000 & 1000-5 Information: