– 2016 GoldWing Airbag / ABS / Navigation Review (Level Four GL18HPMG) 1800 Touring Motorcycle –
Long acknowledged as the pinnacle of two-up motorcycling, the 2016 Gold Wing® continues this legacy. No motorcycle has changed the concept of touring like the Honda Gold Wing. A horizontally opposed engine offering power, performance and perfect smoothness. Shaft final drive. A chassis designed for day–long comfort. And over the last four decades, the Gold Wing has just gotten better and better, and touring riders have had it better and better too—full-coverage bodywork, bigger engines, more cylinders, better chassis, more power, integrated luggage. Its travel-oriented creds include the latest generation of sophisticated electronic amenities, starting with an innovative user-friendly navigation system with the capability to share favorite ride routes with friends and other riders. The Gold Wing also incorporates a new built-in MP3/iPod® interface and a SRS CS Auto™ technology surround-sound system for a premium listening experience. In addition, optional features ranging from Navi, ABS and the world’s first motorcycle airbag do much to further the Gold Wing’s reputation as the most celebrated two-up machine in motorcycle history.
- 2016 Honda Gold Wing Horsepower: 118 HP @ 5,500 RPM (87 kW)
- 2016 Honda Gold Wing Torque: 123 ft/lb TQ @ 4,000 RPM (167 Nm)
- 2016 Honda Gold Wing MPG: 35 Miles Per Gallon*
2016 Honda Gold Wing Model Options:
- Level One (GL18HPMG):
- MSRP / Price: $23,999 – Matte Altair Silver, Candy Red
- MSRP / Price: $24,999 – Grey Metallic / Black
2016 Gold Wing Audio / Comfort: Highlights include heated grips, seat, and foot warmers; Premium Surround Sound; Cruise Control; and Electric Reverse.
- Level Two (GL18HPNMG):
- MSRP / Price: $26,899 – Matte Altair Silver, Candy Red
- MSRP / Price: $27,899 – Grey Metallic / Black
2016 Gold Wing Navigaton / Audio / Comfort / XM Radio: Everything you get in Package One with the addition of our upgraded Satellite-Linked Navigation System and XM Radio.
- Level Three (GL18HPNAMG):
- MSRP / Price: $28,129 – Matte Altair Silver, Candy Red
- MSRP / Price: $29,129 – Grey Metallic / Black
2016 Gold Wing ABS / Navigation / Audio / Comfort / XM Radio: Again, all the features of Packages One and Two, but with the added assurance of the Gold Wing’s proven Anti-lock Brake System.
- Level Four (GL18BMG):
- MSRP / Price: $30,599 – Grey Metallic / Black
2016 Gold Wing Airbag / ABS / Navigation / Audio / Comfort / XM Radio: The top-of-the-line Gold Wing, with every feature of our first three Performance Packages, but with the addition of motorcycling’s first airbag for added protection.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Model overview
- 3. Key features
- 4. Quick Overview of Features
- 5. Accessories
- 6. Gold Wing Timeline
- 7. Technical Specifications
Machines come and go in the motorcycling world. Times change, as do riders and their expectations. But since 1975 there’s been a bike in the Honda range that has stood the test of time – the Gold Wing. It’s evolved, of course, but just as it was originally, it remains one of the most special experiences available on two wheels. And no other bike in Honda’s current line-up has been on sale for longer in Europe.
Many riders are addicted to its avalanche of turbine-like torque, or its sheer handling poise at low – or high – speed. Some revel in its mileage-munching ability, carrying capacity and all-day two-up comfort. But all will agree on one thing – there really is nothing else quite like a Honda Gold Wing.
And fittingly for such an astonishing platform the Gold Wing has spawned two other very special machines, broadening its attraction and appeal: the Gold Wing F6B, with its long, low and pared down ‘Bagger’ style and hot rod Gold Wing Valkyrie F6C, an unfettered street prowler that defines the term ‘Power Cruiser’.
2. Model Overview
The Honda Gold Wing has always stood alone. Launched as the GL1000 in 1975 its horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine was not only physically different, it felt very different with a silky output perfect for long days in the saddle. A six-cylinder, 1500cc overhaul in 1987 saw the Gold Wing once again state its intent and purpose to benchmark the ultimate touring machine.
The Gold Wing GL1800 which debuted in 2001, after eight years of intensive research and development, added further dynamic ability and riding enjoyment to the Gold Wing’s repertoire. The box-section aluminium frame delivered stability and accurate steering at speed. It also worked with the unique flat-six engine to keep the center of gravity low – a key factor in the bike’s excellent low-speed balance and agility, which made twisting mountain roads or busy city streets a pleasure to negotiate.
And just as the engine enjoys a legendary reputation for reliability, so the rest of the machine is finished to the very highest standards, with outstanding build quality and paint finish.
The core appeal of the Gold Wing remains its unique ability to make long-distance travel a truly rewarding and enjoyable experience. A visual update in 2011 – with improved luggage capacity – under the style concept of ‘majestic aggression’ perfected a look that is at once elegant, imposing and vibrant.
3. Key Features
The Gold Wing’s front fairing features a strong diagonal styling element that accentuates the strong lines of the twin-spar frame, running down the sides of the bike from the headlights to the pannier cases. The result is a dynamic look with sharp surfaces and sleek forms, sculpted by CFD (Computational Flow Dynamics) for reduces buffeting for rider and pillion.
Total luggage capacity is 150 liters and the shape of the rear of the machine actively contributes to aerodynamic stability. A vehicle moving at speed naturally creates an area of negative pressure behind it. By better managing the movement of air over and through the rear of the bike, this negative pressure is reduced, increasing stability.
The seat is one of the most important features of a touring motorcycle and the Gold Wing’s has always excelled when it comes to day-long comfort. The shape of the seat wraps around the passenger, creating the sensation of complete comfort and security. A urethane seat material increases comfort, while the weather proof cover is perforated for a sporty look. Seat height of 29.1 inches gives accessible ground reach.
SRS CS Auto 6-speaker 80W surround-sound system
Offering superb sound presence and quality, this system delivers high quality stereo technology. The engine room is a powerful 80-watts-per-channel amplifier capable of delivering clear, crisp sound, even at motorway speeds. The amp powers a full complement of six speakers, with two rear speakers, two front speakers and two tweeters.
The result is a rich and full surround sound experience through either the speaker system or the optional headsets. In addition the RDS radio allows easy access to radio stations via the integrated handlebar controls.
The audio system is compatible with iPod®, iPhone® and USB memory sticks, meaning riders can play MP3, WMA and AAC music files on the go. The system is fully integrated, giving full device control through the handlebars and displaying music file information on the main display.
Controls on the central panel take care of switching between music sources (for example radio or USB), switching displays and selecting music while at a standstill. The USB port for connecting digital music devices is in the large lockable top box, which also features an interior storage case to hold the device on the move.
Honda Navigation System (more navigation details at bottom of page)
The Gold Wing’s Navigation System offers fast and accurate functionality. The bright colour screen boasts a range of functions including lane assist and junction view, while optional voice-prompting further reduces the chance of taking a wrong turn. The system also offers points of interest information, including petrol stations, Honda dealers, hotels and restaurants.
Easy to use controls ensure all of these features can be accessed easily and safely. Reception sensitivity allows the system to operate effectively even in areas with a poor signal, such as on roads beneath large structures or on mountain roads.
Central storage compartment (on models without airbag)
On models not fitted with an airbag the handily placed front pocket has 2.8 litres storage space. It is ideal for storing sunglasses, wallets and mobile phones while on the move.
Heated seats and handlebars; foot-warming system
Five-position heated grips and independently adjustable heated seats make touring a year-round possibility. The foot-warming system channels engine-heated air over the rider’s feet and is controlled by a fairing-mounted lever.
The slow-speed, electric Reverse system is engaged with the simple push of the thumb control on the right handlebar.
Lightweight electronic cruise-control system utilises a 16-bit ECU-based, motor-actuated throttle mechanism.
A simple yet ingenious ratchet windscreen-adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 100mm of travel. The manually operated adjustable and closeable windscreen vent routes fresh air to the rider’s face or chest.
Between the fairing pockets, top box and rear panniers, the Gold Wing boasts over 150 litres of luggage capacity. The specially designed luggage features a remote-control key lock, permitting pop-open rear trunk operation, remote lock/unlock for the trunk and panniers and a horn-actuated bike locator. If remote locking is attempted while a lid is open, the turn signals flash to alert the rider.
The horizontally opposed SOHC 2-valve six-cylinder engine is as much a part of the Gold Wing legend as the name or the sales success. Unique in motorcycling, the 1832cm³ engine is the perfect long-distance ally.
Its layout minimises engine vibration and helps create a low centre of gravity, reducing rider fatigue at speed and making the bike easy to handle at walking pace. At the same time the large displacement gives exceptional power and torque, especially in the midrange. Bore and stroke is set at 74mm x 71mm, with compression ratio of 9.8:1. Peak torque of 167Nm is delivered at just 4,000rpm, with power output of 87kW @ 5,500rpm.
PGM-FI fuel injection ensures a crisp throttle response and low exhaust gas emissions. Together, the fuel injection system’s fine air/fuel ratio control, the three-way catalytic converter and the air injection system – that encourages the oxidisation of unburned gases – ensure that the Gold Wing easily meets EURO-3 emissions standards. For longer maintenance intervals, automatic adjustment for the silent cam chain has been retained.
The engine’s power is transmitted to the rear wheel through a five-speed gearbox spinning the opposite way to the engine’s crankshaft. This cancels out the side-to-side torque reaction effect generated by longitudinally mounted engines. Fifth gear is an overdrive, offering very low cruising revs on a long haul for optimised comfort and reduced fuel consumption. Shaft final drive means no messy chain lubrication or adjustment.
Engine / Drivetrain
- Powerful, fuel-injected 1832cc six-cylinder engine produces smooth, effortless power.
- Parallel two-valve cylinder-head design utilizes direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation which allows the first valve clearance inspection service to be at 32,000 miles.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI).
- Two 40mm-diameter throttle bodies deliver air to six specially designed Keihin 50-psi high-pressure programmed fuel injectors. Fuel is delivered through four nozzle holes in each injector, producing an atomized fuel mixture that is highly combustible for optimum efficiency and power.
- The ECU provides two digital 3-D fuel-injection maps for each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability. Unique knock-control sensors monitor for knock to improve performance.
- ECU closed-loop emissions system utilizes two oxygen sensors to constantly deliver a precise air/fuel mixture, while two exhaust catalyzers further reduce emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides.
- Two side-mounted radiators enhance cooling efficiency and use low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators and beyond the rider at highway speeds.
- Efficient stainless-steel 6-into-2 exhaust system produces a pleasing, aggressive sound.
- Precise-shifting five-speed transmission includes Overdrive Fifth.
3.4 Chassis / Suspension
The skeleton of the Gold Wing is a twin-spar aluminium beam frame which holds the engine as a stressed member, improving its already outstanding levels of rigidity, while the design’s low weight and optimized weight distribution make it a joy to ride at any speed. Rake is set at 29.15°, trail 109mm. Overall dimensions are (L) 2,630mm × (W) 945mm × (H) 1,455mm with wheelbase of 1,690mm and curb weight of 904 lbs (up to 933 lbs for the airbag model).
Both the 45mm cartridge front telescopic forks and Pro-Link single-side swingarm rear suspension use low-friction bushes, with the forks also benefitting from low-friction dust seals. Equipped with a two-position memory function, the computer-controlled, electric hydraulic-type adjustable rear suspension allows for quick adjustments to spring preload depending on load.
The Gold Wing is fitted with Honda’s Dual Combined ABS. The Combined element of the system links the front and rear brakes to deliver the perfect balance of braking effort, whether the rider uses the front brake lever or the rear foot brake for high levels of deceleration in all situations. The ABS monitors front and rear brakes – a pair of 296mm discs and three-piston calipers at the front, and a ventilated 316mm disc and three-piston caliper at the rear. Braking effort is momentarily reduced should the system detect that a wheel is about to lock up. Hollow section 5-spoke cast aluminium wheels are sized (front) 18 x MT3.5 and (rear) 16 x MT5. They wear 130/70 R18 (63H) and 180/60 R16 (74) tyres respectively.
In addition to the standard model, the Gold Wing is also available fitted with a fully integrated airbag, which represented an industry-first when introduced in 2006. The airbag module containing the airbag and inflator is positioned in front of the rider. The ECU to the right of the module detects changes in acceleration based on information it receives from the two crash sensors (one positioned on each of the front fork legs), to determine whether or not to inflate the airbag in certain frontal impacts.
Chassis / Suspension
- Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame.
- Unique Pro Arm® Rear Suspension.
- Dual full-floating 296mm front discs with Combined Braking System (CBS) three-piston calipers and a single ventilated 316mm rear disc with one CBS three-piston caliper provide excellent braking power.
- Optional Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS).
- Model equipped with ABS features an electric-motor-driven modulator that provides rapid and precise braking-pressure adjustments, resulting in smooth ABS operation. The system incorporates an integrated ECU, self-diagnostics with an interactive ECU test function and automatic protection against system failure.
- Massive 45mm front fork with revised settings for improved suspension compliance houses a cartridge damper in the right leg with 4.8 inches of travel for a smooth yet superb ride in all road conditions.
- Anti-dive system minimizes front fork dive when braking. The system utilizes brake-fluid pressure generated in the secondary CBS master cylinder mounted on the left fork leg and is activated by input from either the front-brake lever or the rear-brake pedal.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension incorporates a new shock with revised suspension settings for enhanced ride compliance.
- Computer-controlled adjustable hydraulic rear suspension preload is easily set by the rider with push-button controls, and features a two-position memory.
- Cast-aluminum 18 x 3.5-inch front and 16 x 5.0-inch rear wheels are lightweight, strong and clear-coated to ease cleaning. Radial touring tires are specifically engineered for the Gold Wing.
Recent Changes / Upgrades
- Fresh styling cues produce a more integrated appearance along with a sporting edge, adding to the premium touring visage.
- Redesigned fairing adds extra wind protection, especially to the lower body and leg areas.
- Larger saddlebags add approximately 7 liters of additional storage space, upping total capacity to well over 150 liters.
- Handy central storage pocket added to models without airbag.
- Revised suspension settings front and rear yield added compliance for a better ride and more comfort.
- Urethane seat material and cover material give added comfort.
- Re-shaped taillight adds a distinctive appearance and aids visibility.
- Updated instrumentation styling lends a high-performance touch.
- Next-Generation Premium Audio System offers direct MP3/i-Pod connectivity plus access to the device functions through handlebar controls.
- SRS CS Auto™ technology surround-sound system brings the latest in sound system technology to the Gold Wing.
- Wheels are now clear-coated for easier cleaning and a great, long-lasting look.
- 80-watt-per-channel power amplifier provides clear, crisp sound at all highway speeds.
- Six-element speaker system includes two rear speakers, a pair of front speakers and two tweeters for a rich, full surround sound quality.
- Tuner features auto bass control combined with auto volume control.
- Five-position heated grips for cold-weather riding.
- Five-position heated seat/backrest combination with individual rider and passenger controls for optimum comfort.
- Foot-warming system channels engine-heated air over the rider’s feet and is controlled by a fairing-mounted lever.
- The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors pressure in both tires while riding. When a significantly underinflated tire is detected, a warning light will display below the tachometer.
- Slow-speed, electric Reverse system is engaged with the simple push of the thumb control on the right handlebar.
- Lightweight electronic cruise-control system utilizes a 16-bit ECU-based, motor-actuated throttle mechanism.
- A simple yet ingenious ratcheting windscreen-adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 4.0 inches of travel. Operated manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors.
- Adjustable and closeable windscreen vent routes fresh air to the rider’s face or chest.
- The Gold Wing trunk provides 60 liters of storage capacity. Two full-face helmets fit easily in the trunk. Overall, the Gold Wing has a total of more than 150 liters of storage space between trunk, saddlebags and fairing pockets.
- Specially designed luggage features a remote-control key lock, permitting pop-open rear trunk operation; remote lock/unlock for the trunk and saddlebags; and horn-actuated bike locator. If remote locking is attempted while a lid is open, the turn signals flash to alert the rider.
- Instrument displays for speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature and fuel level, plus adjustable backlighting and high-luminescence white pointers. Indicator/warning lights are provided for Reverse, Neutral, Overdrive, oil pressure, fuel injection, high beam, sidestand, cruise on, cruise set, low tire pressure and low fuel. A high-resolution LCD housed in a separate module is visible in all lighting conditions and displays the odometer, A/B tripmeter, ambient temperature, audio modes, CB, rear-suspension setting, trunk/saddlebag-open indicators and clock.
- Motorized headlight-aiming system is operated by a rocker switch and provides 2.5 degrees of adjustment from level.
- Large 6.7-gallon fuel tank houses the PGM-FI fuel pump and provides excellent long-distance cruising range.
- 20-amp YTX maintenance-free battery.
Next-Generation Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System™ available:
- New, fully integrated navigation system with new, brighter color screen.
- Next-generation receiver gives quicker satellite connection.
- 3-D terrain view, lane assist with junction view and more.
- Complete United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Canada mapping with points of interest installed.
- Points-of-interest information includes Honda dealers, fuel stations, restaurants, lodging, attractions, transportation, government and emergency information and saved rider’s input with home function.
- Voice prompting through headsets or speakers.
- On-screen text guidance and pop-up menus.
- Easy-to-use handlebar and fairing-mounted controls.
- XM Radio available: XM Radio offers 170 channels from coast to coast, including commercial-free music, premier sports, news, talk radio, comedy, children’s and entertainment programming.
- XM NavTraffic available: XM NavTraffic is the nation’s leading traffic information service, combining continuously updated information on incidents with the ability to re-route riders around trouble spots as displayed on the navigation system screen.
- XM NavWeather available: The XM NavWeather service uses sophisticated Threat Matrix™ technology to track nationwide weather information for more than 20 different weather conditions, then scales and customizes this detail to the rider’s specific location and route. XM NavWeather can alert riders to severe conditions before they ride into them. The service works with the Navigation System to display information via color weather icons or warning signals on the navigation screen, and can give the rider the option to easily re-route around a storm’s path. The service also provides multi-day forecasts based on weather monitoring stations across the United States.
- Industry-first fully integrated rider airbag on a motorcycle.
- The airbag module contains the airbag and inflator and is positioned in front of the rider.
- The ECU positioned to the right of the module detects changes in acceleration based on information it receives from the two crash sensors (one positioned on each of the front fork legs) to determine whether to inflate the airbag in certain frontal impacts.
2016 GoldWing Package Options:
You can choose from four Gold Wing performance packages in 2016, each one designed to optimize your riding experience. All four feature the same engine, chassis and bodywork components.
- Gold Wing Audio Comfort: Highlights include heated grips, seat, and foot warmers; Premium Surround Sound; Cruise Control; and Electric Reverse.
- Gold Wing Audio Comfort Navi XM: Everything you get in Package One with the addition of our upgraded Satellite-Linked Navigation System and XM Radio.
- Gold Wing Audio Comfort Navi XM ABS: Again, all the features of Packages One and Two, but with the added assurance of the Gold Wing’s proven Anti-lock Brake System.
- Gold Wing Audio Airbag: The top-of-the-line Gold Wing, with every feature of our first three Performance Packages, but with the addition of motorcycling’s first airbag for added protection.
- Transferable three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
5. Gold Wing / Honda Genuine Accessories:
- Audio Accessories: 40-Channel CB Radio Kit, CB Antenna Kit, Deluxe Headsets (for open-face and full-face helmets), Push-to-Talk Switch, Replacement Headset Coil Cord, Replacement Headset Hardware Kit, Replacement Boom Mike Windsock
- Cargo Accessories: Saddlebag/Trunk Liner Set, Deluxe Saddlebag/Trunk Mat Set, Saddlebag Lid Organizer with GL Logo, Trunk Inner Light, Trunk Inner Light Harness, Chrome Trunk Rack, Inner Trunk Pouch, Fairing Pouch with GL Logo, Saddlebag Cooler with Honda Logo, Trunk Net, Coin Holder, Gold Wing Owner’s Manual Folio
- Convenience Accessories: Passenger Armrests, Tall Vented Windscreen, 12-Volt DC Accessory Socket Kit, Foglight Kit (LED)
- Protection Accessories: Cycle Cover with GL Logo, Half Cover
- Color Match Accessories: Rear Spoiler with Brake Light
- Chrome Appearance Accessories: Front Fender Ornament, GL Icon Fender Ornament, Front Fender Emblem, Front Fender Extension, Front Fender Rail, Front Disc Covers, Chrome Bar Ends, Gold Cylinder Head Cover Emblem Set, Silver Cylinder Head Cover Emblem Set, Passenger Floorboard Lower Covers, Swingarm Pivot Covers with GL Logo, Chrome Sidestand, Rear Spoiler Accent, Trunk Handle with GL Logo, License-Plate Frame with GL Logo, Exhaust Tips with GL Logo
Accessory Warranty: Because we’re so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Genuine Accessories, we’re pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. Three-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer, excluding audio accessories which are covered by a limited one-year warranty.
6. Honda Gold Wing Timeline
Four decades of GL touring motorcycles
- 1972 Gold Wing
- A team led by Soichiro Irimajiri develops the M1 prototype (also known as Project 371), a flat-six, 1470cc precursor of the Gold Wing.
- 1974 Gold Wing
- The first Gold Wing—the 1975 GL1000 KO—makes its public debut at Cologne Show in Germany. Developed by Toshio Nozue (also responsible for the CB750), the model is dubbed “the ultimate motorcycle” by Honda.
- 1977 Gold Wing
- Rider passion quickly emerges as the GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Association) is founded in Phoenix.
- 1978 Gold Wing
- The first edition of Wing Ding touring rally is held in Phoenix.
- 1979 Gold Wing
- On June 10, Honda opens its $50 million, 260,000 sq/ft USA production facility in Marysville, OH, where the following model year’s Gold Wing would be produced.
- 1980 Gold Wing
- Honda produces the all-new Gold Wing GL1100. Among the many changes are a longer wheelbase, electronic ignition, increased fuel capacity and lighter weight.
- On May 1, Honda’s Marysville Motorcycle Plant produces its first Gold Wing.
- 1981 Gold Wing
- Hoping to expand the touring experience to a new demographic of riders, Honda offers the GL500 Silver Wing.
- 1982 Gold Wing
- Honda introduces a luxurious Aspencade version of the GL1100, featuring two-tone paint and all of the updates from the Interstate.
- 1983 Gold Wing
- The American Gold Wing Association is founded.
- 1984 Gold Wing
- Honda produces the all-new GL1200, which has a stiffer frame, repositioned engine, smaller wheels, longer wheelbase and swingarm and upgraded suspension.
- 1985 Gold Wing
- Honda commemorates 25 years in America and ten years of Gold Wing motorcycles with the GL1200L Limited Edition.
- The naked version of the GL1200 is discontinued.
- Honda opens an engine plant in Anna, OH, where GL engines would eventually be produced.
- 1987 Gold Wing
- The Gold Wing Touring Association is founded.
- 1988 Gold Wing
- The Gold Wing grows two cylinders and is introduced as the all-new flat-six GL1500. Highlights include a smoother transmission, increased fuel capacity, stiffer chassis, improved brakes and comprehensive fairing.
- 1989 Gold Wing
- The Pacific Coast, a mid-displacement Gold Wing spinoff featuring automotive-influenced styling, is introduced.
- 1993 Gold Wing
- Large project leader Masanori Aoki moves to the U.S. for three years to learn English and study the Gold Wing culture prior to developing the 2001 GL1800.
- 1996 Gold Wing
- On July 26, the Marysville plant produces its 1 millionth U.S.-built Honda—a Gold Wing.
- 1997 Gold Wing
- Honda introduces the Valkyrie, a high-performance cruiser based on the GL1500 chassis.
- 2000 Gold Wing
- Coinciding with the Gold Wing’s 25th anniversary, GL engine production is moved from Anna, OH, back to Marysville.
- 2001 Gold Wing
- Debut of the sensational GL1800. Developed under Masanori Aoki, it brought fuel injection, an aluminum frame and optional ABS braking to the Gold Wing, and it had 20 patents for technological innovations.
- 2012 Gold Wing
- GL production moves to Kumamoto, Japan.
- 2013 Gold Wing
- Honda releases the F6B, a lighter, trimmer, meaner version of the Gold Wing.
- 2014 Gold Wing
- Honda reintroduces the powerful Valkyrie, the ultimate cruiser.
- 2015 Gold Wing
- Honda celebrates the Gold Wing’s 40th birthday.
|ENGINE TYPE:||1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder|
|BORE X STROKE:||74mm x 71mm|
|VALVE TRAIN:||SOHC; two valves per cylinder|
|IGNITION:||Computer-controlled digital with 3-D mapping|
|FUEL SYSTEM:||Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)|
|TRANSMISSION:||Five-speed including Overdrive, plus electric reverse|
|FRONT SUSPENSION:||45mm cartridge fork with anti-dive system, 4.8-inch travel|
|REAR SUSPENSION:||Pro Arm® single-side swingarm with Pro-Link® single shock with computer-controlled spring-preload adjustment with two memory presets; 4.1-inch travel|
|FRONT BRAKES:||Dual full-floating 296mm discs with CBS three-piston calipers; optional ABS|
|REAR BRAKE:||Single ventilated 316mm disc with CBS three-piston caliper; optional ABS|
|SEAT HEIGHT:||29.1 inches|
|CURB WEIGHT*:||904-933 pounds, depending on option package selected|
|FUEL CAPACITY:||6.6 gallons|
*Miles per gallon values are calculated estimates of fuel consumed during laboratory exhaust emissions tests specified by the EPA, not during on road riding. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride and maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, cargo and accessories, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.