– 2016 Honda XR650L Dual Sport Motorcycle Review (XR650LG) –
If you’re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda’s time-tested XR650L is that machine. Off-road it has the power, suspension and durability a dirt rider demands. On-road its light overall weight, electric starter and excellent fuel economy make it the perfect commuter, even for long trips.
Its bulletproof 644cc overhead cam engine produces huge torque and power. Air-cooling keeps things simple and reduces maintenance chores. And the engine’s gear-driven counterbalancer reduces tiring vibrations.
Baja tough, the XR650L has the versatility to take you anywhere you want to go on a motorcycle without the hassle of having to trailer a dirtbike.
2016 XR650L Overview of Features & Specs
- 21-Inch Front Wheel
The 21-inch front wheel gives you a wide choice of tire selection for different riding conditions.
- Disc Brakes
Front- and rear-disc brakes provide superior stopping power. Both front and rear disc rotors are drilled for lightness and better wet-weather performance.
- Long-Travel Front Suspension
With a full 11.6 inches of travel, the air-adjustable 43mm fork also offers 16-position compression damping adjustability, letting you fine-tune it to deal with the bumps of off-road riding.
- Street-Legal Features
The XR650L is fully equipped for the street: horn, turn signals, license-plate light, mirrors, speedometer and more. There’s even a grab strap and footpegs for a passenger.
- Electric Starter
Turn the key and push the button—that’s all it takes to get your XR650L going. The electric starter takes all the drama out of restarting off-road, or getting underway on a cold morning or after the bike’s been sitting all week.
- Four-Stroke Engine
Four-stroke, single-cylinder engine offers good fuel efficiency and a wide powerband. The XR650L’s proven powerplant requires very little maintenance.
- Steel Frame
The XR650L’s steel frame is built to handle the rigors of off-road travel. In addition, the frame’s backbone doubles as the engine’s oil tank, saving weight and space.
- Dry-Sump Lubrication
Dry-sump design keeps the engine compact and eliminates the oil pan for superior ground clearance and damage resistance. With the engine oil in the frame, the frame itself acts like a giant oil cooler.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension
Honda’s Pro-Link® rear suspension system offers compliant and comfortable ride quality with a high level of wheel control. Initial rates are soft for supple action over small bumps and ripples, while increasingly stiffer rates resist bottoming and maintain rear-wheel control over rougher surfaces.
- Sealed Battery
No maintenance hassles here, even in case of an off-road tip over. The sealed battery has plenty of cranking power for the electric starter, and is well protected from the vibrations of off-road riding.
- Passenger Ready
With a passenger grab strap, folding passenger pegs, a long MX-style seat and plenty of Honda power, the XR650L lets you carry a passenger with ease.
- 18-Inch Rear Wheel
18-inch rear wheel gives you a better overall ride and more sidewall protection against flats, and still offers a wide choice of on- or off-road tires.
Engine / Drivetrain
- Bulletproof 644cc SOHC four-stroke engine produces power and torque ideally suited for both on- and off-road riding.
- Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC) allows excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
- 42.5mm constant-velocity (CV) carburetor offers crisp throttle response, excellent driveability and maximum power.
- Reliable electric starter system allows easy push-button starting.
- Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes bothersome and tiring vibration.
- Free-flowing, 2-into-1 exhaust system with quiet, USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam chain tensioner and solid-state CD ignition with electronic advance keep you out of the shop and on the road.
- Dry-sump engine maximizes power by minimizing crankshaft windage and engine temperature.
- Durable five-speed transmission offers a gear for every on- or off-road situation.
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- Heavy-duty, low-maintenance #520 O-ring–sealed drive chain.
Chassis / Suspension
- Semi-double-cradle steel frame is lightweight, strong and offers precise handling manners.
- 43mm XR™-spec Showa cartridge fork features 16-position compression damping adjustability and superb off-road performance.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
- Lightweight, strong and durable aluminum box-section swingarm with quick-detach rear wheel.
- Front and rear disc brakes offer superb stopping power.
- Lightweight yet super-strong wheels.
- Frame-mounted passenger footrests allow two-up riding capability.
- Aggressive, dual-purpose front and rear tires offer excellent performance both on and off road.
- 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.
- Lightweight rims and hubs feature straight-pull spokes.
Additional XR650L Features
- Honda Racing–inspired colors and graphics.
- Combination headlight/number plate and dual airflow shrouds direct cool air to the engine.
- Enduro-style headlight features high/low beams.
- Motocross-style seat is comfortable and allows maximum rider movement.
- Large, durable fenders keep debris off the rider.
- Lightweight tubular engine guard.
- Wide-section, folding, cleated footpegs are comfortable and self-cleaning.
- High-output 12-volt electrical system.
- Flex-mounted turn signals resist breakage.
- Compact speedometer features tripmeter/odometer, a Neutral light as well as high-beam, turn-signal and sidestand indicators.
- Easy-to-use choke allows for simple cold-weather starts.
- Push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
- High-quality controls include comfortable grips and brush guards.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
|Engine Type:||644cc air-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Bore and Stroke:||100mm x 82mm|
|Valve Train:||SOHC; four-valve RFVC|
|Carburetion:||42.5mm diaphragm-type CV|
|Ignition:||Solid-state CD with electronic advance|
|Final Drive:||#520 O-ring-sealed chain; 15T/45T|
|Suspension||Front: 43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge fork with 16-position compression damping adjustability; 11.6 inches travel|
|Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 20-position compression and 20-position rebound damping adjustability; 11.0 inches travel|
|Brakes||Front: Single disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: Single disc
|Rake (Caster Angle):||27.0o|
|Trail:||102mm (4.0 inches)|
|Seat Height:||37.0 inches|
|Ground Clearance:||13.0 inches|
|Dry Weight:||324 pounds|
|Fuel Capacity:||2.8 gallons, including 0.6-gallon reserve|