– 2018 Honda Metropolitan Review / Buyer’s Guide | Specs: Price, Colors, Accessories + More! (NW50J) (Giorno) –
Over the years, the Honda Metropolitan (Giorno) has achieved the status of classic scooter—and rightfully so, as fun styling along with a 50cc fuel-injected four-stroke engine have kept this little icon on the favorites list. There’s a locking, 22 liter under-seat storage area large enough to stow a helmet and also an inner storage bin that can hold a 1-liter bottle, plus a larger convenience hook to secure a bag. With easy-to-operate features, affordable price and operating costs, plus loads of Honda quality and reliability, the Metropolitan turns short hops into big fun. Best of all, with a price tag of $2,499 it makes it affordable and within each of just about anyone in search of an affordable and cost-cutting mode of transportation.
2018 Honda Metropolitan Changes… Did Honda change anything on the 2018 Metropolitan VS 2017 Metropolitan? Yes and no. There were no mechanical changes to the Metropolitan for 2018 but Honda did change things up when it comes to color options. In 2018 you now have Pearl Soft Beige and Denim Blue Metallic to choose from:
| 2018 Honda Scooter Model Lineup – Click Here |
Quick Key 2018 Honda Metropolitan Facts / Specs:
- 2018 Honda Metropolitan Pricing:
- 2018 Metropolitan Price / MSRP: $2,499
- 2018 Honda Metropolitan Performance Info:
- 2018 Metropolitan Horsepower: 4.4 HP @ 8,000 RPM
- 2018 Metropolitan Top Speed: 35-40 MPH
- 2018 Metropolitan MPG: 117 Miles Per Gallon
- Misc 2018 Honda Metropolitan Specs:
- 2018 Metropolitan Weight: 179 lbs (curb weight)
- 2018 Metropolitan Seat Height: 28.3 inches
- 2018 Metropolitan Fuel Tank Size / Capacity: 1.2 gallons
- 2018 Metropolitan Fuel Range Per Tank: 140 miles (approximately)
- 2018 Honda Metropolitan Model ID Code:
- 2018 Honda Metropolitan Colors:
- Pearl Soft Beige
- Denim Blue Metallic
If you haven’t already checked it out, take a look at the other 49cc scooter from Honda for 2018 – The Ruckus by Clicking Here. The Ruckus and Metropolitan are very similar when it comes to some features but also very different in many aspects too. The part where they are the closest would be when it comes to overall performance, they have very similar horsepower numbers which means that they also have similar top speed and average speed numbers and they are only within 3 MPG of each other too. The Ruckus is a little behind though when it comes to some technology as the Metropolitan is fuel-injected where the Ruckus has still has a carburetor. You can check out more info though on what sets the 2018 Ruckus VS Metropolitan by Clicking Here.
Unique Metropolitan Features
- Efficient four-stroke 49cc engine consumes substantially less fuel and produces significantly lower exhaust emissions than a comparable two-stroke engine.
- The estimated fuel economy for the fuel-efficient Metropolitan is 117 MPG.
- Automatic Honda V-Matic transmission allows speeds up to 40 mph.
- Combined Braking System (CBS) provides excellent stopping power.
- Lightweight, sturdy aluminum chassis is recyclable and contributes to the Metropolitan’s maneuverability and excellent fuel economy.
- Lockable underseat compartment offers nearly 22 liters of storage capacity.
- Lockable centerstand deters unauthorized use.
- New inner storage bin can hold a 1-liter bottle, and a larger convenience hook allows the rider to conveniently secure a bag.
Metropolitan Engine / Drivetrain
- Lightweight 49cc four-stroke OHC liquid-cooled single-cylinder 2-valve engine (engine code: AF74E) provides ample power for in-town riding.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) delivers excellent throttle response over a wide variety of riding conditions.
- Maintenance-free solid-state CD ignition system.
- Simple push-button electric starter.
- Starter system utilizes the engine’s brushless alternator (ACG) for starting, eliminating the need for a separate starter motor. This simple design requires no maintenance and lowers overall weight for even better fuel economy.
- Solid-state ECU provides control for ignition timing, alternator regulator, ACG/starter and electric fuel pump.
- Lightweight, maintenance-free, magnetically driven water pump eliminates the need for mechanical seals.
- Compact engine-mounted radiator has aluminum fins for optimal cooling in all riding conditions.
- Electromagnetic fuel pump is located in the fuel tank under the Metropolitan’s floor and contributes to the excellent storage space under the seat.
- Automatic cam-chain tensioner requires virtually no maintenance.
- Ultra-quiet exhaust system.
- Automatic Honda V-Matic belt-drive transmission provides spirited acceleration and requires virtually no maintenance.
Metropolitan Chassis / Suspension
- Two-piece, die-cast-aluminum chassis provides an optimum balance of light weight and rigidity for excellent handling.
- Twin-downtube fork front provides 1.9 inches of plush travel for a well-controlled ride.
- Single-side aluminum swingarm with single-shock rear suspension has 2.6 inches of travel for a compliant, comfortable ride.
- Front and rear drum brakes offer predictable, powerful stopping power.
- The Metropolitan’s CBS brakes (CBS = Combined Brake System) provide added control when slowing or stopping. Rider application of the front-brake lever activates the front brake in conventional fashion. Application of the rear-brake lever mounted on the left handlebar, activates the rear-brake and the front brake together; when only the rear brake lever is used, a proportioning mechanism gradually applies the front brake.
- High-grip, high-mileage tires.
Additional Metropolitan Features
- Well-padded seat boasts a low 28.3-inch seat height for added confidence at stops.
- Underseat storage compartment with 22-liter capacity holds groceries or a full-face helmet.
- Instrumentation includes analog speedometer, odometer, analog fuel gauge and indicator lights for coolant temperature and low/high beams.
- Audible turn-signal indicator.
- Parking brake.
- Key-operated ignition lock has an integrated trunk-release switch. By pushing in the key, the rider can easily unlock the spacious storage compartment under the main seat.
- Centerstand locking lever located inside the underseat storage compartment discourages unauthorized use.
- Rear hand grip.
- Helmet holder locks helmet in place under seat.
- Shopping-bag holder.
- Backup kickstarter.
- Twin-filament headlight with 35-watt low / high beam provides ample nighttime illumination.
- Maintenance-free battery.
- Fuel-cap design allows easy removal.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Rear Carrier
- Rear Trunk
- Rear Trunk Attachment Kit
- Outdoor Cover
You can also check out more on the 2018 Honda Metropolitan Accessories by Clicking Here.
Metropolitan Pictures / Photo Gallery
|Type||49cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||OHC two-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||39.5mm x 40.3mm|
|Ignition||Full transistorized ignition|
|Front||26mm telescopic fork; 2.72 in. travel|
|Rear||Single shock; 2.36 in. travel|
|Front||Single 95mm mechanical drum|
|Rear||Single 110mm mechanical drum|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||26º 30′|
|Trail||76mm (3.0 in.)|
|Seat Height||28.3 in.|
|Ground Clearance||4.1 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||1.2 gal.|
|Color||Pearl Soft Beige, Denim Blue Metallic|
|Curb Weight*||179 lbs.|
* Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride. Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment. Specifications subject to change.