– 2018 TRX250 Recon ATV Buyer’s Guide: Price, HP & TQ, MPG / Manual Shift Four Wheeler –
Today we’re going to breakdown ole faithful – the tried and true 2018 Honda Recon 250 Manual-Shift (also referred to as Foot-Shift). I will be breaking down the Recon ES (ES = Electric Shift) on another page so this page will be about the Manual-Shift version. The Recon is the last of the just plain and simple ‘old-school’ ATV models that hasn’t went with all of the newer technology out there like fuel-injection and water-cooled and ultra-complex dual-clutch transmissions with power steering etc. If you don’t want any of that technology and don’t need four-wheel drive then this might be the four-wheeler for you – depending on your size and what kind of performance you’d like out of your machine. Don’t be fooled by the 250cc engine size though thinking that it is incredibly slow as when you compare power-to-weight figures between Honda’s 2018 ATV model lineup you’ll see that the Recon will hold it’s own against the Rancher 420 and Foreman / Rubicon 500 models when it comes to a flat-out drag race.
2018 Honda Recon 250 VS 2017 Recon Changes? The only change for 2018 comes in the way of color options. Honda is bringing back white again for 2018 on the Recon but this time around the wheels are blacked out instead of silver which really makes the color combo pop and look 1,000 times better in my opinion. Honda has also brought back the old-school olive green instead of the new brighter green that they introduced a couple of years ago. Other than that though the 2018 Recon 250 remains the same machine.
Bigger isn’t always better, but it is usually more expensive and that is why the Honda Recon is still a popular choice still to this day.
Why? You see the Recon is a powerful, versatile, rugged ATV with a smaller footprint. Its compact size helps you maneuver through tighter trails some larger ATVs would struggle with. But we’ve equipped this two-wheel-drive workhorse with a specially designed a 250–class engine, engineered for plenty of low-rpm torque and power. And the Recon is even available in two different models: one features our conventional foot-shift ATV transmission (TRX250TM), while the Recon ES (TRX250TE) offers Honda’s Electric Shift Program (ESP), allowing you to up-shift and down-shift using two handlebar-mounted buttons. Take your pick – with a Honda Recon, you can’t go wrong.
- 2018 Honda Recon 250 ATV Horsepower / Torque / MPG / Performance Rating:
- 2018 Recon 250 HP – 15.6 at 6,500 RPM
- 2018 Recon 250 TQ – 13.7 lb / ft at 5,000 RPM
- 2018 Recon 250 Horsepower-to-Weight Ratio – (15.6 HP / 434 lb) = .036 horsepower per pound
- 2018 Recon 250 MPG – 29.4 Miles Per Gallon (12.5 km/l)
- 2018 Honda Recon 250 Models / Options / Model ID Codes:
- 2018 Recon 250 (Manual / Foot-Shift) TRX250TMJ
- 2018 Recon ES 250 (Electric Shift) TRX250TEJ
- What do those ATV model ID codes mean above?
- TRX = Generic term for ATV
- 250 = Engine Size
- T = Two-wheel drive
- M = Manual Shift
- E = Electric Shift
- J = 2018
- Example TRX250TMJ: TRX = ATV / 250 = Engine Size / T = Two-wheel drive / M = Manual Shift / J = 2018
- 2018 Honda Recon 250 Prices / MSRP:
- 2018 Recon 250 TRX250TM Price – $4,099
- 2018 Recon ES 250 TRX250TE Price – $4,349
- 2018 Recon 250 Color Options: White, Olive Green
Common TRX250 Recon Questions:
- Is there a 2018 4×4 Recon 250?
- No, the Recon is only available in two-wheel drive / 2×4.
- Does the Recon 250 have a throttle limiter similar to what the TRX90X has?
- No? The Recon doesn’t have a throttle limiter nor does Honda have one.
Honda Recon 250 Innovations
Effortless Electric Starting
There’s no stopping the Honda Recon—at least when it comes to starting. Turn a key, push a button, and you’re off, even in cold weather. A backup recoil starting system (think lawn mower) provides added confidence. The Recon 250 is now the only ATV for 2018 aside from the Rincon 680 that still has a backup pull-start.
New Reverse Mechanism and Parking Brake
The 2018 Recon has a newer reverse mechanism that was recently changed over the previous generation Recon models you might be used to. Need to back up to load your ATV or get out of a tight spot on the trail? The Recon sports a new reverse lever that’s designed to be easier to use. The new parking-brake lever is simpler and more intuitive so gone are the days where you have to rub your belly in a circle with one hand while you pat your head with the other hand while sticking your tongue out and winking with your left eye – all at the time same just to engage reverse!
Don’t want the Manual-Shift 2018 Recon 250? You do have the following Recon ES model:
Optional: Electric Shift Program (ESP) / Push-Button Shifting
Shifting between gears should always be this easy. With Honda’s available unique ESP system (ES models only), up-shifting and downshifting is as simple and fast as pushing one of two handlebar-mounted buttons up and down. ESP is also a bonus when riding in heavy or mud/snow-covered boots.
Uniquely Designed Floorboards
Both the Recon and Recon ES have uniquely designed floorboards, which allow the rider’s feet to grip the footrests while helping keep mud and debris away.
Clean, efficient, proven, low-maintenance. Shaft drive is the perfect choice for a machine like this, and for riders who pile on the miles. You never have to worry about lubrication or adjustment out on the trail. And an added plus: it helps keep your ATV cleaner, too.
Semi-Dry-Sump Engine Design
Compact and lighter-weight, the Recon’s semi-dry-sump and overhead valve designs create an engine that’s not only shorter from top to bottom, but one that enhances handling by lowering the center of gravity while also allowing for better ground clearance.
Longitudinal Engine Layout
By orienting the crankshaft front to back in the chassis in our ATV and side-by-side engines, we route the flow of power straight to the wheels without any unnecessary right-angle detours, reducing powertrain friction and putting more grunt to the ground.
LED Taillight and Brakelight
The Recon has a LED taillight and brakelight for durable, long-lasting lighting.
Steel Cargo Racks
Front and rear steel cargo racks allow payloads of 33 and 66 pounds, respectively.
2018 Honda Recon 250 Overview of Features
- – The TRX250TM Recon 250 features the high-performance cylinder head from the TRX250X for increased performance.
- – The TRX250TM Recon has uniquely designed floorboards, which allow the rider’s feet to grip the footrests while helping keep away mud and debris.
- – The TRX250TE Recon ES features a gear indicator in addition to the Neutral and Reverse lights provided on the Recon.
- – LED taillight and brakelight for durable, long-lasting lighting.
- – Ergonomically designed seating and control layouts provide a comfortable operating position for a wide range of rider sizes.
- – Large cargo racks front and rear allow payloads of 33 and 66 pounds, respectively.
- – Dual-headlight system with 25-watt lights.
- – Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
- – Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- – Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
Recon Engine / Drivetrain
- – Lightweight OHV air-cooled 229cc engine is longitudinally mounted to allow direct driveshaft alignment to rear wheels for fewer frictional losses.
- – Semi-Dry-Sump Engine Design: Compact and lighter-weight, the Recon’s semi-dry-sump and overhead valve designs create an engine that’s not only shorter from top to bottom, but one that enhances handling by lowering the center of gravity while also increasing ground clearance.
- – Overhead-valve design offers a wide, easy-to-use powerband and compact engine dimensions.
- – The muffler is constructed of stainless steel.
- – CD ignition system with electronic advance features an rpm limiter for added durability.
- – Five-speed transmission with Reverse and automatic clutch on the TRX250TE/TM – Powerful 110-watt AC generator.
- – USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler is constructed of stainless steel.
- – Powerful 110-watt AC generator.
Recon Chassis / Suspension
- – Plush front and rear suspension for comfortable all-day riding.
- – Lightweight double-cradle steel chassis.
- – Maintenance-free shaft drive routes power directly from the longitudinally mounted engine without inefficient directional changes.
- – Independent double-wishbone front suspension gives 129,5mm of travel.
- – Steel swingarm and single rear shock absorber give 124,5mm of travel.
- – Dual sealed front hydraulic drum brakes and sealed mechanical rear drum.
Recon 250 Genuine Accessories
- – Flag Kit
- – Trailer Hitch
|Engine Type||229cc air-cooled OHV longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Bore x Stroke||68.5mm x 62.2mm|
|Ignition||CD w/ electronic advance|
|Starter||Electric with auxiliary recoil|
|Transmission||ESP 5-speed + Reverse||5-speed + Reverse|
|Driveline||Direct rear driveshaft|
|Front||Independent double-wishbone; 5.1 in. travel|
|Rear||Swingarm w/ single shock; 4.9 in. travel|
|Front||Dual sealed hydraulic drum|
|Rear||Single sealed mechanical drum|
|Seat Height||31.2 in.|
|Ground Clearance||6.0 in.|
|Turning Radius||8.5 ft.|
|Fuel Capacity||2.4 gal. incl. 0.6 gal. Reserve|
|Colors||White, Olive Green|
|Curb Weight*||441 lbs.||434 lbs.|
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride