– 2022 Honda Metropolitan 49cc Scooter Review / Buyer’s Guide: Price, Colors, Features, Engine & Frame info… | (NCW50) (Giorno) –
2022 Honda Metropolitan Changes? Did Honda change anything on the 2022 Metropolitan VS 2020 Metropolitan? No. The 2022 Metropolitan is identical to the 2020 Metropolitan in every spec and also when it comes down to color options, every thing is the same. Mechanically, the 2016 through 2022 Metropolitan models are the same as that’s when Honda did their last round of changes and updates on the Metropolitan scooter.
It’s time to jump in on the 2022 Honda Metropolitan and go over all of the nitty-gritty details behind this 50cc scooter. Well, technically the Metropolitan is a 49cc scooter but a lot of times they are generically referred to as a “50 cc”. First up, let’s go over some quick facts about the 2022 Metropolitan from Honda. These are a few of the key points of information that people look for when doing research on a certain scooter that they’re interested in buying below.Quick 2022 Metropolitan Info (for those in a hurry):
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Model Options / Variations:
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan (just one model configuration)
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Pricing:
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Price / MSRP: $2,499
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Performance Info:
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Horsepower: 4.4 HP @ 8,000 RPM
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Torque: 3.0 ft/lb TQ @ 7,500 RPM
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Top Speed: 40-42 MPH
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan MPG: 117 Miles Per Gallon
- Misc 2022 Honda Metropolitan Specs:
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Weight: 179 lbs (curb weight)
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Seat Height: 28.3 inches
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Fuel Tank Size / Capacity: 1.2 gallons
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Fuel Range Per Tank: 140 miles (approximately)
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Release Date: April 2021
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan VS 2020 Metropolitan Price Increase: No price increase for this year and Honda didn’t build a 2021 Metropolitan to compare against.
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Model ID: NCW50
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Changes: None.
- 2022 Honda Metropolitan Colors: Coastal Blue, Pearl Soft Beige (some pictures below will be of different colors to highlight certain aspects of the scooter)
2022 Metropolitan Review Contents:
- Metropolitan Engine / Drivetrain
- Metropolitan Chassis / Suspension
- Additional Metropolitan Features
- Metropolitan Accessories
- My Opinion / Your Thoughts?
- Metropolitan Pictures / Photo Gallery
- Technical Specifications
If you haven’t already checked it out, take a look at the other 49cc scooter from Honda for 2022 – The Ruckus by Clicking Here. The Ruckus and Metropolitan are very similar when it comes to some features but also very different in many aspects too. The part where they are the closest would be when it comes to overall performance, they have very similar horsepower numbers which means that they also have similar top speed and average speed numbers and they are only within 3 MPG of each other too. The Ruckus is a little behind though when it comes to some technology as the Metropolitan is fuel-injected where the Ruckus has still has a carburetor. You can check out more info though on what sets the 2022 Ruckus VS Metropolitan by Clicking Here.
Metropolitan Engine / Drivetrain
- Lightweight 49cc four-stroke OHC liquid-cooled single-cylinder 2-valve engine (engine code: AF74E) provides ample power for in-town riding.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) delivers excellent throttle response over a wide variety of riding conditions.
- Maintenance-free solid-state CD ignition system.
- Simple push-button electric starter.
- Starter system utilizes the engine’s brushless alternator (ACG) for starting, eliminating the need for a separate starter motor. This simple design requires no maintenance and lowers overall weight for even better fuel economy.
- Solid-state ECU provides control for ignition timing, alternator regulator, ACG/starter and electric fuel pump.
- Lightweight, maintenance-free, magnetically driven water pump eliminates the need for mechanical seals.
- Compact engine-mounted radiator has aluminum fins for optimal cooling in all riding conditions.
- Electromagnetic fuel pump is located in the fuel tank under the Metropolitan’s floor and contributes to the excellent storage space under the seat.
- Automatic cam-chain tensioner requires virtually no maintenance.
- Ultra-quiet exhaust system.
- Automatic Honda V-Matic belt-drive transmission provides spirited acceleration and requires virtually no maintenance.
Metropolitan Chassis / Suspension
- Two-piece, die-cast-aluminum chassis provides an optimum balance of light weight and rigidity for excellent handling.
- Twin-downtube fork front provides 1.9 inches of plush travel for a well-controlled ride.
- Single-side aluminum swingarm with single-shock rear suspension has 2.6 inches of travel for a compliant, comfortable ride.
- Front and rear drum brakes offer predictable, powerful stopping power.
- The Metropolitan’s CBS brakes (CBS = Combined Brake System) provide added control when slowing or stopping. Rider application of the front-brake lever activates the front brake in conventional fashion. Application of the rear-brake lever mounted on the left handlebar, activates the rear-brake and the front brake together; when only the rear brake lever is used, a proportioning mechanism gradually applies the front brake.
- High-grip, high-mileage tires.
Additional Metropolitan Features
- Well-padded seat boasts a low 28.3-inch seat height for added confidence at stops.
- Underseat storage compartment with 22-liter capacity holds groceries or a full-face helmet.
- Instrumentation includes analog speedometer, odometer, analog fuel gauge and indicator lights for coolant temperature and low/high beams.
- Audible turn-signal indicator.
- Parking brake.
- Key-operated ignition lock has an integrated trunk-release switch. By pushing in the key, the rider can easily unlock the spacious storage compartment under the main seat.
- Centerstand locking lever located inside the underseat storage compartment discourages unauthorized use.
- Rear hand grip.
- Helmet holder locks helmet in place under seat.
- Shopping-bag holder.
- Backup kickstarter.
- Twin-filament headlight with 35-watt low / high beam provides ample nighttime illumination.
- Maintenance-free battery.
- Fuel-cap design allows easy removal.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Rear Trunk
- Rear Carrier
- Rear Trunk Attachment Kit
- Outdoor Cover
My Opinions / Your Thoughts?
The Metropolitan, unlike the Ruckus (its 49cc sibling in the lineup) has at least received some updates over the years. They took a step backwards on the 2013-2015 Metropolitan because they wanted to offer it at a lower price point but it was lacking in certain areas so they went back to the drawing board in 2016 with quite a few changes to the engine and added a real glovebox for storage among other things. They showed that they do listen to customer feedback and ultimately made it an all-around better scooter for the 49cc market. Whereas the other 2022 scooter in Honda’s model lineup, the Ruckus, is almost 20 years old with no changes made since 2006. Yes, 2006… It’s not fuel-injected like the Metropolitan which is a big deal breaker for a lot of people over the last few years when almost everything out there has EFI. Another upside for the Metropolitan compared to the Ruckus, it’s $300 cheaper and you get more technology! All in all, I like the Metropolitan. Do I wish Honda made some changes for 2022 to make it just that much better? Of course but they have a lot of other models they are working on redesigning and new motorcycle model introductions for 2022 so I’ll cut them some slack. Long story short, for $2,499 you’ll have a difficult time finding a new 2022 scooter that will last longer, cost you less in scheduled maintenance and have a higher resale value than the 2022 Honda Metropolitan. (* Disclaimer: I’m not hating on carbs, I know some people prefer them. I used to as well. However, I’ve been spoiled by EFI and the tuning capabilities are so easy now compared to tuning carbs. AKA: I’ve gotten lazy haha).
2022 Metropolitan Pictures / Photo Gallery
Technical 2022 Honda Metropolitan Specs
|2022 Honda Metropolitan Specifications|
|Type||49cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||OHC two-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||39.5 mm x 40.3 mm|
|Ignition||Full transistorized ignition|
|Front||26 mm telescopic fork; 2.72 in. travel|
|Rear||Single shock; 2.36 in. travel|
|Front||Single 95 mm mechanical drum|
|Rear||Single 110 mm mechanical drum|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||26º 30′|
|Trail||76 mm (3.0 in.)|
|Seat Height||28.3 in.|
|Ground Clearance||4.1 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||1.2 gal.|
|Color||Coastal Blue, Pearl Soft Beige|
|Curb Weight*||179 lbs.|
* Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride. Meets current EPA standards. Specifications subject to change.