– 2022 Honda Shadow Aero Cruiser Motorcycle Review / Buyer’s Guide | (VT750C = Aero) –
The Honda Shadow model lineup of cruiser styled motorcycles are one of the most iconic on the road and when you talk about some of the best-selling and most popular cruisers from over the last few decades – the Shadow name is always there. Honda’s played around over the years with many different model variations with different styling aspects and then different engine size options too ranging from many different 600cc Shadow VLX models to the multitude of 750cc Shadow models (RS, Spirit DC, Spirit C2, Phantom, RS) to the 1100cc Shadow models (ACE, Spirit, Sabre). Fast forward to 2022 and the only Shadow models left from Honda that haven’t been discontinued are the 2022 Shadow Aero 750 and 2022 Shadow Phantom 750 models.
2022 Shadow Aero VS 2021 Shadow Aero Changes / Upgrades? Yes and no. Technically, Honda didn’t build a 2021 Shadow Aero so we’ll be comparing to the 2020 Shadow Aero. The only changes to the 2022 Shadow Aero 750 come in the way of pricing and color options. We see a $100 price increase for 2022 bringing the Shadow Aero’s MSRP up to $7,799 and $8,099 for the ABS model. The other change for the Aero is that we’re ditching the Black and Pearl Stallion Brown color options for only one color this year and that’s the New Ultra Blue Metallic two-tone paint you see below.
2022 Honda Shadow Aero VS ABS Model Differences? At first glance, both the standard 2022 Shadow Aero may look identical to the 2022 Shadow Aero ABS model but they are slightly different. Pay attention to the engine and wheels, you’ll see that the 2022 Shadow Aero ABS model doesn’t have those items blacked out. To some it won’t matter but I know it will so I wanted to make sure you guys noticed that.
Once you check out certain features like the Shadow Aero’s spoke wheels, full retro-styled front and rear fenders and long, chromed mufflers, low seat height all while only tipping the scales at 560 pounds and it’s easy to see why the Aero 750 is a Shadow that has stuck around for so many years and will be here for many more to come! Riding is all about having fun but who said you can’t care about looking good while you’re rolling down the road. Even though the Aero is all about retro-styling, you also get some thoroughly modern performance courtesy of this bike’s 745cc V-twin engine, specially tuned for low-revving torque. Maintenance-reducing features like shaft final-drive system make the Aero easy to own. And best of all, the Aero is a huge bargain, giving you a big-bike ride without the big-bike price.
Below, we’ll cover some of the quick facts and specs on the 2022 Honda Aero 750 and then we’ll dive into a little bit more details on the bike from the engine used in the Aero to its frame and suspension etc.
- Quick Key 2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 Facts / Specs:
- 2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 Model Options / Variations:
- 2022 Shadow Aero
- 2022 Shadow Aero ABS (ABS = Anti-Lock Brakes)
- 2022 Shadow Aero Model ID: VT750C
- 2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 Pricing:
- 2022 Shadow Aero Price / MSRP: $7,799
- 2022 Shadow Aero Price / MSRP: $8,099
- 2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 Performance Info:
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 Horsepower: 44.6 HP @ 5,500 RPM
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 Torque: 47.9 lb ft TQ @ 3,500 RPM
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 MPG: 56 Miles Per Gallon
- Misc 2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 Specs:
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 Weight: 560 lbs
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 ABS Weight: 573 lbs
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 Seat Height: 25.9 inches
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 Fuel Tank Size / Capacity: 3.7 gallons
- 2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 Colors / Options:
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 Colors: Ultra Blue Metallic
- 2022 Shadow Aero 750 ABS Colors: Ultra Blue Metallic
- * Colors will vary by country
- 2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 Model Options / Variations:
2022 Honda Shadow Aero Engine / Drivetrain
- 745cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine produces impressive power over a broad rpm range.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) for good throttle response and fuel efficiency.
- Crankshaft features long-stroke design along with high-mass ACG to produce strong V-twin feel and low-rpm torque peak.
- Single 34mm throttle body offers crisp throttle response.
- Three-valve cylinder-head design utilizes two spark plugs per cylinder for excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
- Finned cylinders enhance appearance and give a big-bike look.
- Aluminum radiator maintains consistent engine temperature for optimum performance and long engine life. Mounted between frame rails for enhanced appearance.
- Ignition with electronic advance offers dependability and is maintenance-free.
- Air-injection system reduces emissions by injecting air into the exhaust ports to ensure complete combustion.
- Wide-ratio five-speed transmission.
- Shaft final-drive system provides smooth and reliable low-maintenance operation.
The power at the heart of the 2022 Shadow Aero (VT750C) is a 750cc liquid-cooled fuel-injected engine. Its delivery is tuned for deep, rumbling pulses of power and torque. Accessibility and dependability are also essential to the VT750C experience, and the fuel injection system has been developed for quick throttle response and maximum fuel economy. Thanks to this technology, the 2022 Shadow Aero has an MPG rating of 56 miles per gallon.
The liquid-cooled 52° V-twin engine powering the Shadow Aero is a time-proven standard of Honda excellence, essentially the same configuration that provides strong, dependable power to all of Honda’s 750cc V-twin cruisers. Its compact shape allows the frame’s central backbone to be lowered, facilitating the cruiser’s long-and-low profile. The engine features a long-stroke (bore and stroke 79mm x 76mm), single-pin crankshaft configuration and optimal mass to enhance the feel of its low rpm torque peak. Both connecting rods are bolted to the same crankpin, delivering the rumbling cadence and torque that so many riders especially seek out. Efficient combustion and instant power thrusts are provided by SOHC three-valve cylinder heads with a 9.6:1 compression ratio and dual spark plugs fed by a 34mm throttle body, while close-ratio transmission delivers strong acceleration from anywhere in the engine’s power range. The sensation of strong, direct power delivery to the rear wheel is down to the machine’s enclosed shaft final drive. Requiring only minimal maintenance, the shaft drive operates smoothly and quietly while enhancing the feel of the engine’s power. Speaking of minimal maintenance, Honda hit it out of the park on this subject as you’ll only need to knock out your oil changes every 8,000 miles!
The 2022 Shadow Aero 750 is equipped with a highly developed Honda PGM-FI fuel injection system, featuring an idle air control valve which precisely controls incoming air for smooth idling operation. The system ensures easy starting, instant throttle response and smooth, satisfying thrusts of acceleration. With accurate fuel flow monitoring, efficiency is also optimized, keeping both emissions and fuel consumption low.
The exhaust pipes that accentuate the length of the Aero chassis are more than just a visual accent on its classic retro styling. They also pump out a nice, deep and throaty sound through them that’s fitting to the style of bike that the Shadow Aero is. If you’re after something a little on the louder side, there are a ton of aftermarket exhaust options for the 2022 Shadow Aero that really make that engine scream among other performance upgrades that can also bump the horsepower up a touch too if that’s what you’re after.
Each exhaust pipe is fitted with an oxygen sensor that feeds data to the fuel injection system’s ECU and a HECS3 (Honda Evolutional Catalyser System) low emissions system. This strictly regulates exhaust gases while still maintaining the engine’s capable performance and throaty sound.
2022 Honda Shadow Aero Styling
The Shadow 750 oozes timeless American cruiser style from every curve of its classic long-and-low profile and every glint of its gorgeously polished chrome accents. Its elegant bullet-shaped headlight provides a strong point of focus, underlined by impressive chrome wrapped front fork covers, gleaming wire-spoke wheels and fat tires.
The instrument panel is placed on top of the tank. It features a large, easily readable speedometer dial, a compact assembly of practical gauges and indicator lights and an eye-catching silver-painted cover. The seat is easily the lowest in the 750cc cruiser class and creates a deep riding position that allows an easy reach to the grips and a laid-back cruiser feel.
- Speedometer is set into the front of the fuel tank for classic retro styling with a chrome instrument housing.
- Chrome highlights include: cylinder-head cover, air-cleaner cover, left and right engine sidecovers, brake and clutch lever brackets, rear brake pedal, shift lever, swingarm pivot cap, ignition ignition switch cover, handlebar, rear shock covers and headlight.
- Solid aluminum footpegs with wide rubber trim bands project a custom-made look.
- Handlebar is positioned low and wide for a comfortable feel, and is mounted on rubber-cushioned risers to reduce vibration.
- Broad, low-slung solo seat with detachable passenger seat.
- Stylish 3.7-gallon fuel tank.
- Classically styled and powerful 60w/55w halogen headlight.
- Large, custom-styled taillight and attractive retro-styled turn-signal indicators.
- Steering-head lock and helmet lock for added security when parked.
- Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan that can bump your factory warranty up to a total of six-years.
2022 Honda Shadow Aero Chassis / Suspension
- Innovative frame design features large, steel tube backbone reaching back from massive cast steering head to rear of the engine case for simplicity and strength.
- Sturdy and responsive 41mm front fork features large-diameter chrome steel shrouds and large billet-aluminum triple-clamp for a distinctive retro look. Delivers confident, neutral handling control and plush 4.6-inch wheel travel.
- Large 4mm-thick fork brace mounted under fender enhances rigidity.
- Dual-shock rear suspension features five-position spring preload adjustability and eye-catching chrome covers, while offering 3.5 inches of wheel travel for a smooth, well-controlled ride.
- Large-section tires are mounted on traditional spoked wheels with wide chrome rims. The front end features a fat 120/90-17 tire that provides a wide footprint and matches the substantial style of the machine.
The engine’s power is contained in a slim, lightweight and rigid double-cradle steel frame that is both responsive and easy to handle. A large-diameter single tube backbone and pressed steel pivot plates combine in a low overall chassis height, allowing for low tank and seat positioning. The seat rails and chopped rear fender are supported by a cast sub-frame. The frame design is an important contributor to the sensational ride quality, transmitting enough primary vibration to maximize enjoyment of the engine’s performance without allowing it to become uncomfortable.
The extended 41mm front fork and 17″ front wheel create a remarkably responsive and comfortable package. Large 120/90–17 front and 160/80–15 rear tires grab attention while providing an easy-handling ride. On the left side, the shaft drive is integrated with the swingarm adding to the clean and simple look. The exposed rear shock absorbers are tilted forward, providing progressive damping and a comfortable ride with precise control. A fat 160mm rear tire emphasizes the sporty custom styling as well as adding to comfort. The powerful brakes perform with smooth efficiency. A large-diameter 296mm front disc with a responsive dual-piston caliper is paired with a conventional 180mm leading/trailing drum brake at the rear.
Overview of 2022 Shadow Aero Features / Highlights:
- 745cc V-Twin Engine
- Nothing pumps out the torque like a big V-twin. The Aero’s power makes it perfect for both around-town cruising, commutes and casual weekend-long rides.
- Five-Speed Transmission
- Wide-ratio five-speed transmission lets you cruise the boulevard at a low, unhurried pace, yet allows you hop on the highway without revving the engine through the roof.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Forget about fiddling with a choke—the Shadow’s fuel injection system means no-hassle startups on cold mornings or at high altitudes, and optimal performance in any condition.
- 2-Into-2 Exhaust System
- Sleek pipes feature bullet-style mufflers for that classic cruiser style of yesteryear. Large-diameter head pipes and 2-into-2 system design combine to put out true, V-twin cruiser sound.
- Front Suspension
- Sturdy and responsive 41mm front forks deliver a confident and neutral handling ride.
- Rear Suspension
- Dual-shock rear suspension features five-position spring preload adjustability for a smooth ride.
- Spoked Wheels
- Spoked wheels give the Aero a classic look.
- Full Front Fender
- Wide metal front fender gives the Aero a classic styling touch.
- Front-Disc Brake
- If there’s one place you don’t want retro performance, it’s your brakes. That’s why Honda gave the Shadow Aero a 296mm front disc clamped by a twin-piston caliper with sintered metal pads for distinctly modern stopping power. Rear brake is drum type.
- Chrome Highlights
- Chrome highlights include cylinder-head cover, air-cleaner cover, engine sidecovers, brake and clutch-lever brackets, rear brake pedal, shift lever, handlebar, rear shock covers and more.
- Comfortable Saddle
- Broad, low-slung solo seat features a detachable passenger seat.
- Low Seat Height
- Skimming the pavement at just 25.9 inches, the Aero’s low seat height makes flat-footing it at stoplights or in parking lots a breeze. And the Aero’s narrow seat/tank junction makes it feel even lower.
- Shaft Final Drive
- With the Shadow Aero’s driveshaft you do not have to worry about the added maintenance of a chain or belt-drive. The shaft final-drive system helps provide a smooth and reliable low-maintenance option compared to other chain and belt-drive motorcycles on the market.
- * Combined Anti-Lock Brakes (optional)
- Optional combined Antilock Brake System provides smooth, powerful braking and adds to the overall feel of confidence and easy control.
- Three-Valve Dual-Plug Combustion Chamber
- It’s the best of both worlds: The three-valve combustion chambers used on many of our V-twin cruisers feature two intake valves and one exhaust, helping them breathe efficiently to boost both horsepower and torque.
2022 Honda Shadow Aero Accessories (Honda Genuine):
- Windshield / Windscreen
- Chrome Lightbar
- Chrome Spotlight Visors
- Chrome Backrest
- Tall Chrome Backrest Trim
- Low Chrome Backrest Trim
- Chrome Rear Carrier / Cargo Rack
- Chrome Solo Rider Rear Carrier
- Chrome Backrest / Rear Carrier Mounting Brackets
- License Plate Frames
- Chrome Billet Master Cylinder Caps
- Chrome Master Cylinder Cap
- Chrome Swingarm Pivot Cover Set
- Chrome Front Fender Guard Rail
- Chrome Front Fender Trim
- Chrome Rear Fender Guard Rail
- Chrome Rear Fender Trim
- Chrome Seat Trim Rail
- Chrome Radiator Guard
- Chrome Driveshaft Cover
- Digital Audio System
- Leather Saddlebags
- Synthetic Leather Saddlebags
- Saddlebag Liner Set
- Leather Front Pouch
- Leather Tank Belt, Replacement Buckle
- Leather Touring Bag
- Heated Grips
- Chrome Allen Bolt Inserts
- Cycle Cover
2022 Honda Shadow Aero Pictures / Photo Gallery:
2022 Honda Shadow Aero Specs:
2022 Honda Shadow Aero 750 SPECIFICATIONS
|Model||Shadow Aero ABS (VT750CS)||Shadow Aero (VT750C)|
745cc liquid-cooled 52º V-twin four-stroke
SOHC; three valves per cylinder
|Bore x Stroke||
79.0mm x 76.0mm
PGM-FI w/ automatic enrichment; one 34mm throttle body
Digital transistorized w/ electronic advance
5 speed manual
41mm telescopic fork; 4.6 in. travel
|Rear||Dual shocks w/ 5-position spring preload adjustability; 3.5 in. travel|
|Front||Single twin-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 296 mm disc; ABS||Single twin-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 296 mm disc|
|Rear||Single one-piston hydraulic caliper w/ disc; ABS||Single 180mm drum|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||
161mm (6.3 in.)
|Seat Height||25.9 in.|
|Ground Clearance||5.1 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||3.7 gal.|
Ultra Blue Metallic
* Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment Specifications subject to change.