– 2022 Honda XR650L Review: Specs, Features + New XR 650 Changes Explained! –
The dinosaur as I like to call it, also known as the XR650L has returned for 2022 and with some new changes / updates too!
For the XR650L, Honda basically combined the off-road chassis of the XR600 with the electric-start engine of the NX650, creating one of the most capable dual-sport bikes on the market when it was introduced.
- Quick 2022 XR650L Specs / Info:
- 2022 XR650L Horsepower: 40 HP
- 2022 XR650L Torque: 47.2 ft/lb TQ
- 2022 XR650L Price / MSRP: $6,999
- 2022 XR650L Announcement Date: March 2022
- 2022 XR650L Release Date: April 2022
- 2022 XR650L Colors: White
- * more 2022 XR650L specs below…
We’ll start off first with the #1 question on everyone’s mind the second a new model year rolls around for the XR650L and that is “2022 XR650L VS 2021 XR650L Changes or Upgrades? Did they make any changes or updates this year to the XR 650L?”. The answer to that question is yes. However small these changes may be, they are changes and those don’t come along often when discussing the XR650L.
2022 Honda XR650L Changes Explained: For 2022, Honda changed up the graphics on the tank and they swapped out all of the red plastics in favor of white plastics for the 2022 XR650L. They also went with black wheels on the XR650L this year and ditched the “lollipop” mirrors in place of a more modern set of mirrors.
Does the XR650L have the latest and greatest technology on the market? Nope. Is it the fastest dual-sport motorcycle you can buy? Nope. For adventure both on and off the pavement, the durable, basically bulletproof, powerful, XR650L has earned a reputation as one of the best true dual-sport motorcycles on the planet. If you’re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda’s time-tested XR650L is that machine. Few motorcycles offer truly broadband dual-sport performance, but the legendary XR650L is equally at home on the road and in the dirt. Whether your travels include dirt roads, single-track trails, highways or byways, the XR650L opens the door to riding adventure like few motorcycles ever have. Off-road it has the power, suspension and durability a dirt rider demands. On-road its light overall weight, electric starter and excellent fuel economy make it the perfect commuter, even for long trips. Its bulletproof 644cc overhead cam engine produces huge torque and power. Air-cooling keeps things simple and reduces maintenance chores. And the engine’s gear-driven counterbalancer reduces tiring vibrations. With strong engine performance, comfortable ergonomics and long-travel suspension that easily handles two-up riding, the XR650L has garnered a loyal following of riders who have traveled to many destinations thanks to the bike’s amazing versatility. Baja tough, the XR650L has the versatility to take you anywhere you want to go on a motorcycle without the hassle of having to trailer a dirtbike.
2022 XR650L accessories from Honda? That’ll be a big fat no. Well. Technically Honda does make a motorcycle cover for it so that does count as an “accessory”. The upside though is that the aftermarket support when it comes to accessories / parts for the XR650L is beyond huge! Since the XR has been relatively unchanged for decades you have quite the extensive list of goodies to choose from.
2022 XR650L Overview of Features & Specs
- 21-Inch Front Wheel
- The 21-inch front wheel gives you a wide choice of tire selection for different riding conditions.
- Disc Brakes
- Front- and rear-disc brakes provide superior stopping power. Both front and rear disc rotors are drilled for lightness and better wet-weather performance.
- Long-Travel Front Suspension
- With a full 11.6 inches of travel, the air-adjustable 43mm fork also offers 16-position compression damping adjustability, letting you fine-tune it to deal with the bumps of off-road riding.
- Street-Legal Features
- The XR650L is fully equipped for the street: horn, turn signals, license-plate light, mirrors, speedometer and more. There’s even a grab strap and footpegs for a passenger.
- Electric Starter
- Turn the key and push the button—that’s all it takes to get your XR650L going. The electric starter takes all the drama out of restarting off-road, or getting underway on a cold morning or after the bike’s been sitting all week.
- Four-Stroke Engine
- Four-stroke, single-cylinder engine offers good fuel efficiency and a wide powerband. The XR650L’s proven powerplant requires very little maintenance.
- Steel Frame
- The XR650L’s steel frame is built to handle the rigors of off-road travel. In addition, the frame’s backbone doubles as the engine’s oil tank, saving weight and space.
- Dry-Sump Lubrication
- Dry-sump design keeps the engine compact and eliminates the oil pan for superior ground clearance and damage resistance. With the engine oil in the frame, the frame itself acts like a giant oil cooler.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension
- Honda’s Pro-Link® rear suspension system offers compliant and comfortable ride quality with a high level of wheel control. Initial rates are soft for supple action over small bumps and ripples, while increasingly stiffer rates resist bottoming and maintain rear-wheel control over rougher surfaces.
- Sealed Battery
- No maintenance hassles here, even in case of an off-road tip over. The sealed battery has plenty of cranking power for the electric starter, and is well protected from the vibrations of off-road riding.
- Passenger Ready
- With a passenger grab strap, folding passenger pegs, a long MX-style seat and plenty of Honda power, the XR650L lets you carry a passenger with ease.
- 18-Inch Rear Wheel
- 18-inch rear wheel gives you a better overall ride and more sidewall protection against flats, and still offers a wide choice of on- or off-road tires.
- XR650L Engine & Drivetrain
- Bulletproof 644cc SOHC four-stroke engine produces power and torque ideally suited for both on- and off-road riding.
- Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC) allows excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
- 42.5mm constant-velocity (CV) carburetor offers crisp throttle response, excellent driveability and maximum power.
- Reliable electric starter system allows easy push-button starting.
- Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes bothersome and tiring vibration.
- Free-flowing, 2-into-1 exhaust system with quiet, USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam chain tensioner and solid-state CD ignition with electronic advance keep you out of the shop and on the road.
- Dry-sump engine maximizes power by minimizing crankshaft windage and engine temperature.
- Durable five-speed transmission offers a gear for every on- or off-road situation.
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- Heavy-duty, low-maintenance #520 O-ring–sealed drive chain.
- XR650L Chassis & Suspension
- Semi-double-cradle steel frame is lightweight, strong and offers precise handling manners.
- 43mm XR™-spec Showa cartridge fork features 16-position compression damping adjustability and superb off-road performance.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
- Lightweight, strong and durable aluminum box-section swingarm with quick-detach rear wheel.
- Front and rear disc brakes offer superb stopping power.
- Lightweight yet super-strong wheels.
- Frame-mounted passenger footrests allow two-up riding capability.
- Aggressive, dual-purpose front and rear tires offer excellent performance both on and off road.
- 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.
- Lightweight rims and hubs feature straight-pull spokes.
- Additional XR650L Features
- Combination headlight/number plate and dual airflow shrouds direct cool air to the engine.
- Enduro-style headlight features high/low beams.
- Motocross-style seat is comfortable and allows maximum rider movement.
- Large, durable fenders keep debris off the rider.
- Lightweight tubular engine guard.
- Wide-section, folding, cleated footpegs are comfortable and self-cleaning.
- High-output 12-volt electrical system.
- Flex-mounted turn signals resist breakage.
- Compact speedometer features tripmeter/odometer, a Neutral light as well as high-beam, turn-signal and sidestand indicators.
- Easy-to-use choke allows for simple cold-weather starts.
- Push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
- High-quality controls include comfortable grips and brush guards.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
What other models should you consider if you’re in the market for a dual-sport motorcycle from Honda? I would check out these models:
Made it this far? Check out this custom Honda XR650L turned into a Fat Cat by Clicking Here or on the picture below!
|Type||644cc air-cooled, dry-sump, single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||SOHC; four valve RFVC|
|Bore x Stroke||100.0mm x 82.0mm|
|Induction||42.5mm diaphragm-type CV carburetor|
|Ignition||CD w/ electronic advance|
|Final Drive||#520 O-ring sealed chain; 15T/45T|
|Front||43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge telescopic fork w/ 16-position compression damping adjustability; 11.6 in. travel|
|Rear||Pro-Link Showa single shock w/ spring preload, 20-position compression damping and 20-position rebound damping adjustability; 11.0 in. travel|
|Front||Single 256mm disc w/ twin-piston caliper|
|Rear||Single 220mm disc w/ single-piston caliper|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||27°|
|Trail||102mm (4.0 in.)|
|Seat Height||37.0 in.|
|Ground Clearance||13.0 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||2.8 gal., incl. 0.6-gal. reserve|
|Curb Weight*||346 lbs.|
* Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride. Meets current CARB and EPA off-road emissions standards.