– 2017 CRF50 Kids Dirt Bike Details: Price, Seat Height, Weight, HP & TQ Performance + More! –
Widely recognized as the quintessential mini bike, the CRF50F is Honda’s longest-running off-road model and the choice of first-time riders the world over. For decades, Honda has offered a full line of off-road bikes stair-cased in size and displacement to meet the specific needs of riders just entering the sport. The renowned CRF50F has long served as an incredibly suitable and efficient first step for beginning riders thanks to a strong and tough 49cc four-stroke engine, automatic clutch and three-speed gearbox, plus an inverted fork, and its small overall size and light weight simplify transport. With credentials like these, it’s no wonder the dependable CRF50F has been the bike of choice for beginners for more than 40 years. Its inverted fork, 49cc four-stroke engine, easy-shifting three speed gearbox with automatic clutch and low seat height make the CRF50F a cinch to ride.
What does the “automatic clutch” on the CRF50F mean exactly? The automatic clutch means you don’t have to worry about using a clutch to ride the machine. You do still have to change gears though and that’s where it confuses some people but thanks to the auto clutch you don’t have to worry about stalling the engine when coming to a complete stop nor do you have to use the clutch to change gears. They do make training wheels for the CRF50 too that are very popular if your little-one isn’t tall enough just yet or isn’t balanced enough to hold the CRF50 upright without a little assistance.
2017 CRF50F Performance Numbers:
- 2017 CRF50F Horsepower – 3.1 HP
- 2017 CRF50F Torque – 2.53 ft/lb TQ
2017 CRF50 Review of Features
- Dependable 49cc SOHC four-stroke engine develops smooth, easy-to-use power.
- 10.0:1 compression ratio for good performance and easy kick starting.
- Maintenance-free CD ignition and automatic cam-chain tensioner.
- 11mm piston-valve carburetor offers excellent fuel mileage and throttle response throughout the rpm range.
- Smooth-shifting three-speed transmission and automatic clutch offer simple operation and easy takeoffs.
- Durable #420 drive chain offers dependable operation and low maintenance.
- USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester is efficient and quiet.
- Closed-crankcase ventilation system safeguards against engine oil contamination.
- Adjustable throttle limiter.
- Keyed ignition switch prevents unauthorized use.
- Easy-access washable foam air filter simplifies maintenance.
- High-tensile steel frame and swingarm offer excellent balance of strength and compliance.
- Inverted telescopic fork offers a plush 3.7 inches of suspension travel.
- Single-shock rear suspension provides 2.7 inches of well-damped travel and is mounted to a reinforced swingarm.
- 28-spoke, 10-inch-diameter wheels with die-cast-aluminum hubs look great, provide excellent maneuverability and offer smooth ride quality.
- Powerful, lightweight front and rear drum brakes.
- Wide, long-wearing off-road tires offer excellent traction.
- Front and rear suspension spring and damping rates for optimum rider comfort and bump absorption.
- CRF-R-inspired bodywork, Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Narrow 4.3-inch-wide CRF-type seat, slim fuel tank and extra-low 21.6-inch seat height provide excellent comfort and mobility for a broad range of young riders.
- Motocross-style handlebar with padded protector.
- High-quality, comfortable grips.
- Folding, cleated foot pegs offer secure footing even in muddy conditions.
- Durable plastic fenders are nearly indestructible.
Transferable six-month limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan
|Engine Type||49cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Bore and Stroke||39.0mm x 41.4mm|
|Induction||11mm piston-valve carburetor|
|Valve Train||SOHC; two-valve|
|Final Drive||#420 chain; 14T/37T|
|Transmission||3-speed w/ automatic clutch|
|Front||Inverted telescopic fork; 3.7 in. travel|
|Rear||Single shock; 2.7 in. travel|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||25°|
|Trail||32mm (1.3 in.)|
|Seat Height||21.6 in.|
|Ground Clearance||6.0 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||0.7 gal. incl. 0.2-gal. reserve|
|Curb Weight*||111 lbs.|
* Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride. Meets current CARB and EPA off-road emissions standards.
|50 State, meets CA:||40 kg (88 lbs)|
|Publication Order Numbers:||Specification|
|Engine:||Specification, Units: mm (in)|
|Cylinder arrangement:||Single cylinder, inclined 80° from vertical|
|Bore and stroke:||39.0 x 41.4 mm (1.54 x 1.63 in)|
|Displacement:||49 cm³ (3.0 cu-in)|
|Cylinder compression at rpm:||981 – 1,177 kPa (10.0 – 12.0 kgf/cm², 142 – 171 psi) at 1,000 rpm|
|Standard:||0.010 – 0.040 (0.0004 – 0.0016)|
|Service Limit:||0.15 (0.006)|
|Valve Clearance (cold)|
|Intake:||0.05 ± 0.02 (0.002 ± 0.001)|
|Exhaust:||0.05 ± 0.02 (0.002 ± 0.001)|
|Recommended engine oil/classification/viscosity:||Honda GN4 4-stroke oil/API SF or SG/SAE 10W-30|
|Oil capacity after draining/engine oil filter change:||0.6 liter (0.6 US qt, 0.5 Imp qt)|
|Oil pressure at oil pressure switch:||N/A|
|Fuel/oil mixing ratio:||N/A|
|Recommended transmission oil/classification/viscosity:||N/A|
|Capacity after draining:||N/A|
|Recommended oil viscocity|
|Oil capacity at draining|
|Drive chain size (x) links:||420 x 78|
|Drive chain slack:||15 – 25 mm (9/16 – 1 in)|
|Coolant capacity,radiator and engine:||N/A|
|Type/throttle bore:||Piston valve/13 mm (0.5 in)|
|Carburtetor/throttle body ID #:||PA42G|
|Float level:||12.7 mm (0.50 in)|
|Main jet:||# 58|
|Slow jet:||# 35 x # 35|
|Jet needle/clip position:||2nd groove from top|
|Pilot screw initial opening:||N/A|
|Idle speed (+/- 100 rpm):||1,700 ± 100 rpm|
|Fuel pressure at idle:||N/A|
|Starter valve vacuum difference:||N/A|
|Throttle grip/lever free play:||2 – 4 mm (1/16 – 3/16 in)|
|Recommended fork fluid:||N/A|
|Fork fluid capacity/and level:||N/A|
|Recommended rear shock oil:||N/A|
|Damper gas pressure:||N/A|
|Toe In/Out adjustment(TRX, MUV, and SXS only):||N/A|
|Front Size:||2.50-10 33J|
|Cold tire pressure:||100 kPa (1.0 kgf/cm², 15 psi)|
|Rear Size:||2.50-10 33J|
|Cold tire pressure:||125 kPa (1.25 kgf/cm², 18 psi)|
|Charging system type:||N/A|
|Battery charging current|
|Regulated voltage at rpm:||See Service Manual|
|Alternator charging coil resistance:||N/A|
|Lighting coil resistance:||N/A|
|Front turn signal/running light bulb:||N/A|
|Rear turn signal light bulb:||N/A|
|Ignition system type:||Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI)|
|Ignition timing (F mark):||27° BTDC at idle|
|Standard – NGK:||CR6HSA|
|Optional – NGK:|
|Spark plug gap:||0.60 – 0.70 mm (0.024 – 0.028 in)|
|Ignition coil peak voltage:||100 V minimum|
|Ignition pulse generator peak voltage:||0.7 V minimum|
|Alternator exciter coil peak voltage:||100 V minimum|
|Torque value:||Specification, Unit: N.m (kgf.m, lbf.ft)|
|Front axle bolt/nut:||47 (4.8, 35)|
|Front axle holder/pinchbolt/nut:||N/A|
|Rear axle nut:||47 (4.8, 35)|
|Rear axle pinch bolt:||N/A|
|Engine oil drain bolt|
|Crankcase:||25 (2.5, 18)|
|Transmission oil drain bolt:||N/A|
|Cylinder head cover bolt:||N/A|