– 2018 CRF50 Kids Dirt Bike Details: Price, Seat Height, Weight, HP & TQ Performance + More! –
The CRF50F is Honda’s longest-running off-road model and the choice of first-time riders the world over. The CRF50F offers up an ideal combination of features: Its tough, reliable four-stroke engine develops smooth, easy-to-use power. Its three-speed transmission uses an automatic clutch, so a rider learns to shift, but never has to worry about stalling. Its tough suspension stands up to youthful enthusiasm. And for adults, the CRF50F makes sense too: an adjustable throttle limiter lets you tailor the power to the appropriate skill level, and the proven reliability means more time riding and less time taken up by maintenance and repairs.
For decades, Honda has offered a full line of off-road bikes stair-cased in size and displacement to meet the specific needs of riders just entering the sport. Here’s how Honda’s CRF-F trail bike model lineup stair-steps up: CRF50F, CRF110F, CRF125F, CRF125F Big Wheel, CRF150F and then you have the CRF230F. The renowned CRF50F has long served as an incredibly suitable and efficient first step for beginning riders thanks to a strong and tough 49cc four-stroke engine, automatic clutch and three-speed gearbox, plus an inverted fork, and its small overall size and light weight simplify transport. With credentials like these, it’s no wonder the dependable CRF50F has been the bike of choice for beginners for more than 40 years.
What does the “automatic clutch” on the CRF50F mean exactly? The automatic clutch means you don’t have to worry about using a clutch to ride the machine. You do still have to change gears though and that’s where it confuses some people but thanks to the auto clutch you don’t have to worry about stalling the engine when coming to a complete stop nor do you have to use the clutch to change gears. They do make training wheels for the CRF50 too that are very popular if your little-one isn’t tall enough just yet or isn’t balanced enough to hold the CRF50 upright without a little assistance.
The CRF50F is hard to beat as a pit bike too! You’ve got an insane amount of aftermarket parts for these things to turn them into stunt bikes, mini road-race bikes and the list goes on… It doesn’t matter if you’re 5 years old or 35 years old, you can have fun with one of these. I’ve got one myself and actually have more fun on it than I do my big bikes as crazy as that sounds.
A few key highlights of the 2018 CRF50:
- Adjustable Throttle Limiter
- Set the top speed by turning a screw. That helps keep new riders from going too fast, too soon, and lets you match the CRF50F’s power output to the rider’s skill level.
- Keyed Ignition
- A removable key helps ensure younger riders can’t ride without an adult’s supervision. Got their homework done early? Let’s go riding!
- Durable, Low-Maintenance Engine
- If there’s one thing you can count on with a Honda, it’s the engine. The CRF50F’s Honda four-stroke is famously reliable. That cuts down on frustration and hassles.
- Automatic Clutch
- Because there’s no clutch lever to master, new riders don’t have to worry about stalling. That makes the CRF50F the perfect tool for learning to shift. In addition, the smooth transmission offers three gear ratios.
- Rugged Steel Frame
- New riders are hard on equipment, especially when they’re just starting out. That’s why the CRF50F uses a strong steel frame that’s built to handle the bumps and dings of off-road riding.
2018 CRF50F Review of Features
Engine / Drivetrain
- Dependable 49cc SOHC four-stroke engine develops smooth, easy-to-use power.
- 10.0:1 compression ratio for good performance.
- Maintenance-free CD ignition and automatic cam-chain tensioner.
- 13mm piston-valve carburetor offers excellent fuel mileage and throttle response throughout the rpm range.
- Smooth-shifting three-speed transmission and automatic clutch offer simple operation and easy takeoffs.
- Durable #420 drive chain offers dependable operation and low maintenance.
- USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester is efficient and quiet.
- Closed crankcase ventilation system safeguards against engine oil contamination.
Chassis / Suspension
- High-tensile steel frame and swingarm offer excellent balance of strength and compliance.
- Inverted telescopic fork offers a plush 3.5 inches of suspension travel.
- Single-shock rear suspension provides 2.8 inches of well-damped travel and is mounted to a reinforced swingarm.
- 28-spoke, 10-inch-diameter wheels with die-cast- aluminum hubs look great, provide excellent maneuverability and offer smooth ride quality.
- Powerful, lightweight front and rear drum brakes.
- Wide, long-wearing off-road tires offer excellent traction.
- Front suspension spring and damping rates for optimum rider comfort and bump absorption.
- CRF-R inspired bodywork.
- Engine design produces low emissions and meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Narrow 4.3-inch-wide seat, slim fuel tank and extra-low 21.6-inch seat height provide excellent comfort and mobility for a broad range of young riders.
- Adjustable throttle limiter.
- Keyed ignition switch prevents unauthorized use.
- Motocross-style handlebar with padded protector.
- Small-size control levers enhance young rider comfort and confidence.
- High-quality, comfortable grips.
- Polyethylene fuel tank is tough and lightweight, just like that of the bigger CRFs.
- Small overall size and light weight simplify transport.
- Handlebar-mounted number plate.
- Easy-access washable foam air filter simplifies maintenance.
- Folding, cleated footpegs offer secure footing even in muddy conditions.
- Durable plastic fenders are nearly indestructible.
- Honda Racing inspired colors and graphics.
* The 2018 CRF50F has a transferable six-month limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan for up to 54 additional months.
2018 CRF50F Performance Numbers:
- 2018 CRF50F Horsepower – 3.1 HP
- 2018 CRF50F Torque – 2.53 ft/lb TQ
|Type||49cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||SOHC; two-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||39.0mm x 41.4mm|
|Induction||11mm piston-valve carburetor|
|Driveline||#420 chain; 14T/37T|
|Front||Inverted telescopic fork; 3.7 in. travel|
|Rear||Single shock; 2.7 in. travel|
|Rake (castor angle)||25°|
|Trail||32mm (1.3 in.)|
|Seat Height||21.6 in.|
|Ground Clearance||6.0 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||0.7 gal. incl. 0.2-gal. reserve|
|Curb Weight*||111 lbs.|
* Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride. Meets current CARB and EPA off-road emissions standards
|50 State, meets CA:||40 kg (88 lbs)|
|Publication Order Numbers:||Specification|
|Engine:||Specification, Units: mm (in)|
|Cylinder arrangement:||Single cylinder, inclined 80° from vertical|
|Bore and stroke:||39.0 x 41.4 mm (1.54 x 1.63 in)|
|Displacement:||49 cm³ (3.0 cu-in)|
|Cylinder compression at rpm:||981 – 1,177 kPa (10.0 – 12.0 kgf/cm², 142 – 171 psi) at 1,000 rpm|
|Standard:||0.010 – 0.040 (0.0004 – 0.0016)|
|Service Limit:||0.15 (0.006)|
|Intake:||0.05 ± 0.02 (0.002 ± 0.001)|
|Exhaust:||0.05 ± 0.02 (0.002 ± 0.001)|
|Recommended engine oil/classification/viscosity:||Honda GN4 4-stroke oil/API SF or SG/SAE 10W-30|
|Oil capacity after draining/engine oil filter change:||0.6 liter (0.6 US qt, 0.5 Imp qt)|
|Recommended oil viscocity||10W30|
|Drive chain size (x) links:||420 x 78|
|Drive chain slack:||15 – 25 mm (9/16 – 1 in)|
|Type/throttle bore:||Piston valve/13 mm (0.5 in)|
|Carburtetor/throttle body ID #:||PA42G|
|Float level:||12.7 mm (0.50 in)|
|Main jet:||# 58|
|Slow jet:||# 35 x # 35|
|Jet needle/clip position:||2nd groove from top|
|Idle speed (+/- 100 rpm):||1,700 ± 100 rpm|
|Throttle grip/lever free play:||2 – 4 mm (1/16 – 3/16 in)|
|Front Size:||2.50-10 33J|
|Cold tire pressure:||100 kPa (1.0 kgf/cm², 15 psi)|
|Rear Size:||2.50-10 33J|
|Cold tire pressure:||125 kPa (1.25 kgf/cm², 18 psi)|
|Ignition system type:||Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI)|
|Ignition timing (F mark):||27° BTDC at idle|
|Standard – NGK:||CR6HSA|
|Spark plug gap:||0.60 – 0.70 mm (0.024 – 0.028 in)|
|Ignition coil peak voltage:||100 V minimum|
|Ignition pulse generator peak voltage:||0.7 V minimum|
|Alternator exciter coil peak voltage:||100 V minimum|
|Torque value:||Specification, Unit: N.m (kgf.m, lbf.ft)|
|Front axle bolt/nut:||47 (4.8, 35)|
|Rear axle nut:||47 (4.8, 35)|
|Crankcase:||25 (2.5, 18)|